[Melodic Electronica] Forever (WMA)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, October 01, 2007, 09:52:58

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

I didn't quite know exactly what "sort" of electronica to put this track in under, so it's just "Melodic Electronica", 'cos it's electronica, and it has a melody. =P

I used a somewhat dirtier, grungier kit than normal, and tried to make the beat a little bit more interesting, which meant that the entire track ended up sounding quite different from my normal dance stuff.

The voices are from Kontakt: it's basically a lengthy sample of (I think French) speech which has been chopped up into tiny little pieces and randomly rearranged, and which is then played back from a random point, with a whole lot of effects applied. It's quite weird...

I started it on the 22nd of September, and finished it on the 25th, or thereabouts.

Anyway, you can grab it here:
http://test.pbc.wa.edu.au/music/Forever.wma

Sam_Zen

Strong start..
Excellent work with the voices.

But now about the piano..
Nothing wrong with the score, but I sometimes wonder, also considering other works on this DL forum, why always this piano ?
Of course it's electronica, but imo there's a difference between sounds that only can be made with electronics, or an electronic attempt to mimic an existing acoustic instrument.
So in this case, while listening, I was trying to imagine what it would sound like, if the piano-score was done by e.g. a Fender piano. (maybe even with a slight ringmod)

For decennia, the piano is a tool for composers, electronic or not, to make a model of the final piece, work out the chord-changes, setting the melody, etc.
But this doesn't have to mean, that the same piano is also present in every lineup of the ensemble playing the work.

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks, Sam_Zen. Yeah, I like that piano... It's one of the Kontakt pianos, weighing in at nearly a gig... =P

I agree with you, though: the piano doesn't fit in a hundred percent with the rest of the track. Maybe an e-piano would be a better idea. I guess I wanted to try something "different" with my dance music, which normally has no acoustic instruments in it at all (check out this one and this one)... Oh well, you gotta make mistakes to make better music. =D

I'll try to make my next track a little bit less piano-ed. =P Thanks for the feedback!