Convert .mid oder .it to .s3m... ist it possible?

Started by pellogreno, September 29, 2007, 13:41:16

Previous topic - Next topic

pellogreno

Hi,

i am an absolutely noooooooob in that...but i want to convert a .midi (or a .it file) file in .s3m. Is it possible?

thnx guys

Pello

Novus

I found this program from Un4Seen called MID2XM. (http://www.un4seen.com/mid2xm.html) It'll convert a MIDI to an XM, but I don't see any programs that will convert a MIDI to an S3M.

As for converting an IT to an S3M... why would you want to? S3M files are quite limited compared to IT files. If you were to do such a conversion, you'd lose a lot of channels, all the New Note Actions, all the panning and volume envelopes, and a lot more. The resulting S3M would probably sound quite crappy.
And no, I'm not back, whatever the hell "back" means. :)
novusmusic.org

pellogreno

I have a pocket pc-game and i want to swap the original music-file (.s3m) with a custom midi music file. But after 3 hours internet research i think it' not so easy as i thought....

Sam_Zen

Conversion is often not so easy as you think.
And sometimes the easiest conversion has to be made in two steps, instead of searching for a single solution.

Maybe you should try the suggestion of Novus to use MID2XM, to convert the file to XM, then open the XM in MPT, and convert it to the S3M format. But as already said, some codes maybe get lost during this process.

Novus

Quote from: "pellogreno"I have a pocket pc-game and i want to swap the original music-file (.s3m) with a custom midi music file. But after 3 hours internet research i think it' not so easy as i thought....

Okay... I was a little unclear before on what you're trying to do, but I think I've got it now.

You have a pocket PC game that uses S3Ms for background music. But you want to replace one of those songs. So you're trying to take a MIDI file, convert it to an S3M, and plug it into the game to replace the song you don't like.

I think Sam Zen is on the right track. Use MID2XM. The resulting XM file shouldn't be TOO advanced, so you might just get away with then taking that XM file, opening it up in MODPlug Tracker, and re-saving it as an S3M without losing much.

Or it might sound horrible. But what's the worst that could happen? It's all freeware, as far as I can tell, and so all you have to lose is a few minutes of time. And even if it doesn't work out, you'll have a better understanding of the differences between all 3 of those file types than you did before. And that's how you learn stuff. :)

So, go for it! 8) And let us know how it turns out.
And no, I'm not back, whatever the hell "back" means. :)
novusmusic.org

älskling

Or if you use an .it file (i'm guessing this since you wrote .mid or .it), just save it as s3m in MPT and hope for the best. :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Check out zTracker: http://ztracker.sourceforge.net/. Although the project's dead, it's essentially a MIDI tracker. You might be able to export a midi file to XM or IT or something, then map some samples onto it in MPT. Not sure, though - I just remember playing around with it a couple of years ago. =P