[Album] Ambient Stories (mp3)

Started by cubaxd, September 10, 2007, 21:03:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

Hey@all,

I've made a new album :). This time it is not as experimental as the last one. Although there are some tunes which nobody would put into an ambient album, well nobody but me :-D
I hope that the output quality is well enough - my mastering abilities are horrible

Album: Ambient Stories
Type: mp3, 128kbs
Dur: 46:30
Style: ambient, electronica, irish folk, classic
Cover: here
Plugins used: JS 6 Equalizer, JS Humanizer, dmiReverb, SB StereoEcho, MDA DubDelay, MDA Dither, and some more

01 - this is no folk album, 2:12, 2.0MB
02 - guten morgen, 2:32, 2.3MB
03 - space lullaby, 9:20, 8.6MB
04 - regentage, 8:02, 7:4MB
05 - mehr regentage, 5:05, 4.7MB
06 - photosphere, 7:56, 7.3MB
07 - this one, 2:36, 2.4MB
08 - wake up, 5:20, 4.9MB
09 - this is no classic album, 3:24, 3.1MB

Sam_Zen

Listened to the first three so far.
Track 01 is my favorite of the day. Maybe the end is a bit too short in the cut off, seen the transition to track 02, which is a good atmosphere.
And track 03 is beautiful piece with a nice swinging drive.

And don't be modest about your production. A very good volume and panorama balance between the instruments.

Sam_Zen

4 - I love very slow transitions of harmonics with their interferences. The introduction of noise in the middle is nice too.
5 - Brilliant and crisp..
6 - The title suggests some connection with light or a picture, and this is exactly the point with this piece.
It's quite numb flowing in time, but seems to ask strongly for graphical support.
7 - Nice odd choice of sound color of the percussion part.
8 - No strong association with the title. To me the motto would be more : stay awake.
9 - After a few sconds I already loved the way the piano is played. Not in the droning hammerklavier way...
In the end maybe a bit, but anyway ..

cubaxd

Thanks a lot. Always a pleasure to read your reviews :)

QuoteIt's quite numb flowing in time, but seems to ask strongly for graphical support.
Do you believe me that i did understand nothing in this sentence. :oops: :)
Okay an attempt to understand the first part: Did you mean it's too monotonous?
And the second part of the sentence (graphical support): Should i draw a painting? ;)

The end of the first track was really a bit odd. Therefore, i made the song a bit longer.

Sam_Zen

An improvement I think.
QuoteDo you believe me that i did understand nothing in this sentence
It's fuzzy indeed, sorry. I played the track again to investigate my description.
BTW : I've nothing against monotonous, on the contrary, it can be quite exciting.
But, as always, it finally depends on quality of the material, if something is boring or not.
With 'numb flowing' I meant contributing in the flow of things, instead of asking a front role.
A slowly developing structure. That's why I associate it with a single bitmap. Viewing at something.

Relabsoluness

I'm waiting for cubaxd folk album now :)  I liked the album, but the first tune was definitely a highlight; great use of samples(or vsts?) among other things.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Maybe the end is a bit too short in the cut off, seen the transition to track 02
I agree. The transition between tracks 1 and 2 is a bit abrupt.

cubaxd

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"That's why I associate it with a single bitmap. Viewing at something.
Maybe the photosphere of the sun? ;)

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I'm waiting for cubaxd folk album now
You are not the first one who says this. Maybe i should really make a small folk EP :)

If somebody is interested in the IT source file of the first track, you can download it here  (3.4 MB).
I made this piece after listening to the song "Steren" by Gwendal, where i got the inspiration from.

Sam_Zen

Thanks for the IT version.
While exploring it I stumbled upon quite a strange phenomenon in the Pattern tab:
1) play pattern 0 in a repeat.
This with 'Main instrument' on 'None'..
2) click cursor in the running pattern field on the note row of a channel.
3) press some key on the keyboard. Not only will you hear some samplesound, but if you keep pressing the same key,
different notes of that sample will occur.
What is defining the source here ? And what the order of the notes ?

EDIT: Forgot: this happens after first choosing a valid sound-nr in 'Main instrument' and playing with it, and then setting
'Main instrument' back to 'None'.

Saga Musix

yeah, that behaviour is really distracting to me...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

cubaxd

I'm not sure, but it seems always to play the notes and instruments (well, at least the instruments) which were last played in the mod or in some patterns, relative to the note represented by the key pressed.
But to tell the truth: I have no clue :lol: