Snapshot for a song

Started by LPChip, September 06, 2007, 10:05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

It would be really usefull if it was possible to create a snapshot of a song's settings, including VST and VSTi settings.

Basically you press a button, and it stores all the settings (samples not included) to memory.

If you then edit anything, you can switch back to the snapshot to compare.

This is useful to see if the mixing/mastering actually improved the song. :)

I'm now stuck that I can't really bypass the plugins, because the plugins were already part of the song, and I changed the volume, which I can't set back to the original, because I don't remember what I put it to. :P

Is it possible to create something like this?

I guess it would be useful if it were only for the sample/general/instrument tab settings, and not directly to VST/VSTi settings, but if it can be included, yes please! :)

Oh, and ofcource, it doesn't need to take any pattern data into account. That would be pointless.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

anboi

great idea! being able to save the effect settings for a song would be a really useful tool. i often have the same problem and my way of getting round it is to save every time as a different version and do so before making major mixing changes. this gets round some problems but it often doesn't work well; i often also make changes to patterns and end up with one song with the best patterns and one with the best mixing and have to copy and paste loads of patterns over which is boring! this becomes more difficult if extra channels are inserted as well.
if this feature also had the ability to quickly switch between or instantly preview saved settings and compare them (like some plugins A->B switches for comparing settings) then it would be amazing!

Sam_Zen

Support ! So far, I use the same workaround as anboi saving every setting as a slightly renamed version.
Temporary storage in memory to retrieve the setting, is fine, but it's only valid during one session.
If it's in memory, it also could be saved to a file. Possibly a simple .txt file. Like a kind of preset.
Then one could choose such a setting after opening a song again to proceed with the making or editing.

I agree about the exclusion of samples, pattern content, and the VST/VSTi settings. It's too song-specific.
Because what's left for the snapshot, the sample/general/instrument tab settings, are kind of 'global',
because these settings can be there, independent of which samples, or plugins there are involved.
One can keep the same setting in the instrument tab, while the according sample is replaced by another one.
Concerning VST/i plugins, one have to make a difference between the particular settings 'inside' a plugin itself,
and the part about the plugin at the bottom of the General tab. The second can be part of the snapshot.

Really a great idea. I like to come with a future suggestion : including the settings of the 'Setup' dialog,
or at least parts of it, like the 'Player' and 'Equalizer' tab.

LPChip

Well, the VST/VSTi settings should be included with the snapshot, but I mentioned possibly only for when its not possible.

The reason I ask for this feature is for the plugins.

As for the setupscreen snapshot feature, I'd say: allow presets and make them fixed.

I don't think that the snapshots need to be saved though. If you really need to save them, save as seperate files. This feature is intended for on-the-fly usage.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

aGIANTpupafish

how about a new tab within 'setup' called 'snapshot'  where based on personal taste you can choose what is saved within a snapshot?  that means u could save everything if u really wanted or just save one thing... the setting on a vst effect for example.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

le_parasite

L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Sam_Zen