Online Tracker?

Started by residentgrey, August 22, 2007, 01:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

residentgrey

I got a weird question, would it be possible to have an online tracker?
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

Explain your question somewhat further please.

Saga Musix

i've seen one some time ago, but I can't remember where :lol: google may be your friend here.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Litis

I think it's possible, although Flash is probably too weak for making a good one. I imagine one in Java, or in AJAX made by some 12-year-old genius webmaster.
I'm just harmlessly stereotyping here, don't mind me.

bvanoudtshoorn

I don't think that this is feasible with the current technological limitations. Even with the fastest connections, there's _way_ too much latency over an internet connection, and individual packets can easily become lost or arrive very out of order, because they can all follow a different route. However, if you didn't use a connectionless protocol (think postal service) like the internet, but used a connection-based protocol (think telephone conversation), it could be achieved. Basically, a connection-based protocol would mean that you establish a semi-permanent connection to a server over a single route. This would mean that packets would arrive in order and (hopefully) with approximately the same propagation delay. This way, you could theoretically code it in... (I knew that that Networks unit from last semester would be useful!)

Saga Musix

bvanoudtshoorn, you are talking about a tracker that would broadcast data to the internet or receive data - but why should it do it? i saw a tracker recently, it was flash or java, it had some pre-defined samples and you could hit the keys and do some nice patterns. but that's really basic... and as everything is done locally (remember, those are local platforms), it's not very hard to do this...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm. I see your point. I think that someone mentioned Ajax, though, which does use data transmission. Personally, I don't see the point in having a purely client-based web tracking system - why not just use a full tracker? However, with a true server-based tracker, it would allow for really collaborative tracking. Imagine lots of people working together on a track: good drum programmers doing their thing, people doing string arrangements, others laying down guitar tracks, whatever! Now that would be cool (and potentially quite annoying... =D)

That said, a Java client could be quite cool, because it wouldn't necessarily be a "web" tracker. It would be a tracker that happened to be able to run over the web, as well as as a stand-alone app on any platform you can imagine. That would mean that you could use it natively when you're at home, and, when work gets too boring, you could just track a little... =D

Saga Musix

just get Impulse Tracker, it has a Network function :D