1.17.02.48 Unjust delete

Started by Sam_Zen, August 15, 2007, 00:07:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48
Description of the bug:
Pattern editor.
If the record button is disabled, cut and paste some codes is not possible, as it should be.
But deleting a pattern in the pattern row is still possible, as it shouldn't be imo.
How often does it happen?:
Always

Saga Musix

I'm not sure about this one. Removing a pattern has nothing to do with record mode, as you can't insert patterns while recording anyway. You can delete/write notes while recording, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

The idea is, that if you're in jam mode, all keys for playback are enabled, the rest not. That way you can't accidentally press the wrong key. Atleast thats what Sam is referring to.

I agree that it might be wanted to remove the ability to make any modifications, perhaps even saving.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

I disagree, I think disabling record mode should leave everything enabled except entering notes into patterns. So editing volumes and deleting patterns should still be enabled.

To me there's a difference between "editing" (changing values) and "recording" (entering notes) and I don't really see the point of disabling editing effects. The way it works now is quite annoying, what are the odds of someone accidentally trying to paste something while jamming?

bvanoudtshoorn

Perhaps this could be resolved by having an "Editing" toggle, like in OpenOffice, in addition to the "Recording Mode" toggle.

älskling

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Perhaps this could be resolved by having an "Editing" toggle, like in OpenOffice, in addition to the "Recording Mode" toggle.

That's a good compromise, but I don't really see why one would need to turn editing off?

LPChip

My bad. I was under the assumtion that it was EDIT mode, like in FT2, not REC mode. That does change the perspective.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

What do you think about this? Do we need some more discussion about it? :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yeah, lets discuss this behavor a bit further, come to a conclusion, and then fix this bug based on that outcome.