.43 Saving with certain instrument names

Started by Squirrel Havoc, July 16, 2006, 16:41:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

When trying to save an instrument with a '/' in the name, using the save button, MPT just kinda hangs for a second then comes back without bringing up a save dialog. When I removed the slash, then hit save, it worked just fine.

Maybe this means you should automatically parse instrument/sample names for invalid chars and remove/modify them?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Where exactly do you put this '/'? I mean what name? filename?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

I didn't put it there, it was someone elses mod, and in the text edit box where you enter the name of the instrument was a URL, and it had a slash. So apparently he imported it and changed the name to a URL. When I went to save it, nothing happened till I removed the slash
-

Sam_Zen

Of course when you removed the slash, it was ok.. It's simply belonging to a group of characters, that are often used for special interpretations, not as equal part of a string. So using such characters anyway, is asking for trouble. The same maybe would have happened with using a dot. A lot of software, especially browsers, correct these mistakes for the user, but this leads to sloppiness, not following the basic rules of the protocol.

I think using common sense is enough to scan things for invalid chars and remove/modify them.
Replacing the slash by an underscore would have been sufficient as well.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Of course when you removed the slash, it was ok.. It's simply belonging to a group of characters, that are often used for special interpretations, not as equal part of a string. So using such characters anyway, is asking for trouble. The same maybe would have happened with using a dot. A lot of software, especially browsers, correct these mistakes for the user, but this leads to sloppiness, not following the basic rules of the protocol.

I think using common sense is enough to scan things for invalid chars and remove/modify them.
Replacing the slash by an underscore would have been sufficient as well.

Sure, we could always do things the hard way, but we choose not to.

It's kind of like releasing a dangerous product onto the market that isnt a required element of life. Sure, you could warn everyone and hope no one get's hurt, hoping they use common sense, but removing the product from the market would assure that it doesn't affect anyone, no matter what. So everyone is happy
-

LPChip

Squirrel is the bug still there? And if so, could you perhaps provide an examlpe module?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

I'm gonna close this one, as there hasn't been a reaction ever since. If the bug is not fixed, please reply so it can be reopened.