Playing sample from a particular point

Started by Saga Musix, August 11, 2007, 18:25:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Hi,
in Programs like WaveLab, it's possible to play a sample from a particular point to the end. To do this in MPT, one has to select the whole part he wants to play. However, this method is not that comfortable, especially with large samples. I suggest to introduce a new play mode: If you click on the sample and hit ctrl at the same time (should be changable of course), the sample should start playing from the clicked position to the end.

EDIT: Introduced this in the 1.17.03.02 release.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

Quote from: "Jojo"Hi,
in Programs like WaveLab, it's possible to play a sample from a particular point to the end. To do this in MPT, one has to select the whole part he wants to play. However, this method is not that comfortable, especially with large samples. I suggest to introduce a new play mode: If you click on the sample and hit strg at the same time (should be changable of course), the sample should start playing from the clicked position to the end.

are you talking about in the sample editor window? ya might want to specify that :p
from what ive seen in other topics, its not likely that the sample editor will be improved much any time soon, as the samples can simply be exported to a dedicated waveform editor.
also, what do you mean by 'strg'...?

however, i would absolutley LOVE it if mpt could start playing back samples partway through in patterns (ie, you have a long sample that carries over several patterns, right now it only plays the sample if you start playback at the first pattern).

Sam_Zen

(missed Snu while posting this)

I support this, but I have some questions.

I suppose you have the sample tab in front, with the visual of a sample.
How did you manage to play some selection? I can select a part of the waveform, but the playback still starts at the beginning.
And what's 'strg' ?

This request is related to another thread about the use of 'cues' in a sample, I think.

There already is a possibility to transfer the value of the click position, but it goes to Start or End of the Loop dialog.
So it's of no use if Loop is in Off mode. And if it's On, there's no single play to the end of the sample.

Expanding this Loop dialog maybe of help here. First by not calling it Loop, but Playmode, with the choice of :
'single' - 'loop' - 'bidi loop'

le_parasite

Quote from: "Snu"
however, i would absolutley LOVE it if mpt could start playing back samples partway through in patterns (ie, you have a long sample that carries over several patterns, right now it only plays the sample if you start playback at the first pattern).
+1, this is an issue I deal often when triggering HH acapella sample...

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
How did you manage to play some selection? I can select a part of the waveform, but the playback still starts at the beginning.

when you do a selection, don't use the play button but hit your key for C5 instead...

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
This request is related to another thread about the use of 'cues' in a sample, I think.
not really the same stuff if you mean that one: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1824.0
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Saga Musix

okay, my fault, "strg" is the german equivalent for "ctrl"... :oops:

yes, i am talking about the sample editor, i'll try to explain a bit further...
i think it should be possible to play the whole sample from a particular point by clicking it and hitting ctrl at the same time. so if i click at about the half of the sample, the sample should playing from there! this has nothing to do with cue points... Imagine you've a very long sample that maybe lasts for several minutes. you want to start at the half of the sample, but now you would have to mark the sample until the end so everything would play. this especially causes problems if you zoomed in, as you don't see the whole sample...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

2 le_parasite
Thanks for the tip. I even didn't know the keyboard would do anything in the sample tab, can you believe it..

Ok, no cue-thing. An equivalent for Ctrl-L-click could be in the R-click context menu : play sample from here.
Talking about selection : Why isn't Ctrl-A selecting the whole sample ?

le_parasite

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 le_parasite
Thanks for the tip. I even didn't know the keyboard would do anything in the sample tab, can you believe it..

Ok, no cue-thing. An equivalent for Ctrl-L-click could be in the R-click context menu : play sample from here.
Talking about selection : Why isn't Ctrl-A selecting the whole sample ?

ahah you're welcome, BTW Ctrl+A don't select the whole sample because double cliking on the wave do so I guess....
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Saga Musix

yeah, but i guess Ctrl+A is more intuitive for newbies...

älskling

ctrl+a selects the whole samples unless you it's assigned it to do something else.
Edit: at least it did on my other computer when I tested this morning... Anyway, you can set whatever key you want to "select all" in the "global keys" category (which is probably what I had done on my other computer)

Saga Musix

although i made my own keyboard scheme from the original keyboard files, ctrl+a does not work. however, as i'm used to use ctrl+5 in the patterns, i tried it in the sample editor and it worked :) ctrl+5 seems to be the standard in MPT.
i don't even want to use ctrl+a, coz this may lead to conflicts when using ctrl+shift+a (transpose -12)...

Sam_Zen

I'm indeed a newbie when it comes to using a custom keyboard scheme. :)