Taking samples from MOD files

Started by tree56, November 03, 2007, 15:14:14

Previous topic - Next topic

tree56

Hey hello. First post....go me.

Anyways, I know theres a thread about taking samples from files which is a command line programme, but Im looking for a way to easily take samples from MOD files.

What Im wanting to do is a remix of music from a game called Fury3, and I want the samples to do the remixes.....please help me!  :D

LPChip

A first note: its not a good idea to rip samples from other people's music unless you have their permission, and ofcource, you must credit them.

If you just want to make a remix because you want to learn from the experience, and you are not going to release the song, then its not such a big deal.

To answer your question, just load in the module in OpenMPT and from the treeview on your left, drag samples to your new song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

OMG now this starts again :oops:  :P
Ripping samples is nothing "bad", especially if you're ripping sampels from an game, they're often ripped aswell! :lol:
Look, this document is even stored at MP Central, and I quite like it:
http://www.modplug.com/mods/handbook/page/Techniques.htm#ethics
It gives a nice idea of what one can do and what one shouldn't da?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

tree56

Lol well Ive successfully gotten the samples and Im arranging them In my own way and its shaping up to be really good.

Its good practice!

KrazyKatz

QuoteLook, this document is even stored at MP Central, and I quite like it:
http://www.modplug.com/mods/handbook/page/Techniques.htm#ethics

Weak argument. Basically just emotional ranting. Lacks logic and doesn't even address the main issues. Some of the statements are outright false from a legal standpoint.

I suppose we could ressurect this ever-going debate in a new Topic. Although I'm not sure people are interested anymore.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

I think that the biggest issue with ripping samples arises when you're using your music commercially. If you're just doing your music for the fun of it, I don't think it's that much of an issue, unless you're specifically asked by the composer not to rip the samples. If you're composing professionally, I think you must use your own samples, either that you've bought or produced. Anyway, that's my two cents. =D

maleek

I agree with bvanoudtshoorn, if it's just for fun just take it easy. And there are several composers who say in the mods "feel free to use my samples", and similar things. I credited a few samples back in the days to some extremely talented artists. I never did those for commercial purposes. Nowadays I don't have borrow samples in that way, since I've grown musically.

Snu

fury3? i remember that game! i think the mod files were pretty much just a bunch of loops, not really what you would expect in a module...
i only remember one tune from the game right now tho.
(kinda trying to divert the topic from a huge debate here...)

tree56

Yeah Fury3, at the moment the remix is starting with New Kroy then it goes into Vestra......I'm learning, slowly.