Multiple VST outs & multiple virtual midi ports

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, July 13, 2007, 14:22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Just wondering... Does MPT have support for multiple (ie more than two) vst outputs? Also, does it support multiple virtual midi ports?

The reason I ask is that I recently bought Kontakt2, which supports both. Because the routing in Kontakt allows you to apply effects to outputs after all other processing to save CPU, I could then use different output channels for different effects. For example, I could have one pair of outputs for stuff with more reverb (like piano/strings, whatever), and another for stuff with no reverb (like bass), and save myself a whole heap of CPU power by not having to use an individual effect on each instrument in the plug. It's not feasible to have multiple instances of Kontakt, because the plug itself has quite a big footprint (I think around 100MB), and doesn't play well with other instances of itself (it doesn't seem to like sharing =P).

This is also why I'm curious about multiple virtual midi ports. Because of MIDI (and thus VST's) limitations, there are only sixteen channels available for sending MIDI data. This effectively limits you to sixteen instruments. Yes, I know that you can do all sorts of tricks, like using one channel for bass and, say, flute, with a split, but the limitation is still there. However, lots of plugs (say, oh, I don't know, Kontakt for instance =D) support multiple midi ports. With Kontakt's four, that means that you can have sixty-four instruments. Again, it's just not feasible to have multiple instances of Kontakt.

If there isn't support for either of these two, I guess I'll post them as feature requests.

LPChip

I guess not. Have you tried Xlutop Chainer though?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

That's what I'm using to get Kontakt to work in mpt at all. =) I bought it on your recommendation, and, although I haven't really used it's chainer abilities much, the fact that it gets kontakt to run is good enough for me. =) I'm not sure if chainer supports multiple ports/outs, but I can't think that it'd be much good even if it did, if mpt didn't. That is to say, it'd be all very well getting kontakt to output to seven and a half channels, all of which are recognised by chainer, but only two of which are actually accepted by mpt... Basically the same issue with the multiple ports.

rewbs

No and no. :)
I've been meaning to add audio multi-in and multi-out plugin support for a while but haven't got around to it yet. Haven't even thought about virtual midi channels. Feel free to raise feature requests.

LPChip

Quote from: "rewbs"Feel free to raise feature requests.

How many? :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs