Samples cue trigger

Started by le_parasite, July 11, 2007, 18:26:03

Previous topic - Next topic

le_parasite

since MPT recognizes the cues in wav data, it could be nice to be able to trigger a specific part of a sample with an effect such as S7D...
for instance S7D would trigger the sample from cue #1, S7E from cue #2 etc....
it would make OMPT better on the sample handling, making easier to remap a sample regarding the BPM, changing the melody without cut/past edit in the sample editor ... which increases the number of samples used in a track...

What do you think about that?
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Sam_Zen

MPT recognizing cues in wavs ? I never heard about it.. If so, it might be quite useful I guess.
Are these cues also shown in the sample tab ?

le_parasite

it seems it only regconizes loop point created by ompt itself.... but that cue is recognized by audio apps... maybe there's still hope, anyway I thought i'd have been a  nice feature...

Saga Musix

Just a hint: These Loop Points are also recognized by Wavelab...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

So actually it's already the other way around. OMPT loop points can be read by other wav-apps.
BTW : there can be only 2 loop points in a wav. Begin and end of the loop. Cues in wav-files can be as many as necessary.

LPChip

It would be cool if OpenMPT would atleast show the Cues even if you can't do anything else with them. Atleast you can use this to add markers from an external wave editor so you can see them in OpenMPT.

But indeed, it could be cool to allow the insert of certain cue's and have an instrument that plays the same sample but different cue positions, based on the note you play. Like a beat slicer.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

to go abit further, it would be really cool if you could trigger instrument events based on sample cues. so if the sample reaches a certain cue, a note off could simulated...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

le_parasite

I'm sure there're some interesting issues to develop for modplug with the cue points and I'm glad to read that the topic brings some nice ideas!

dBlues

Quote from: "le_parasite"since MPT recognizes the cues in wav data, it could be nice to be able to trigger a specific part of a sample with an effect such as S7D...
for instance S7D would trigger the sample from cue #1, S7E from cue #2 etc....

That is just brilliant. I never even thought about it, but its simply brilliant. Who needs inaccurate sample offsets after a feature like this? Not even beginning to talk about the difference in usability.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Sam_Zen

Just checked. Cool shows the loop points made with OMPT too.

le_parasite

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Just checked. Cool shows the loop points made with OMPT too.
it even reads "loop point" lol

Sam_Zen

Yeah. As a matter of fact I wondered about that because I'm only familiar with the 'cue' points.
Obviously it's a regular Cool thing too. This asks for investigation.

anboi

yes! fantastic idea, it bridges the gap between using fiddly offsets (which i consider bad practice because it's just not accurate enough) and completely chopping the beat up into component parts (which is more effort than a lot of people like to go into). oh, and i think this would mean you could easily pitch up and down drum loops as if they were composed of individual hits.

le_parasite

THIS IS THE FUTUR! lol

what the technical dudes think about that feature?

bvanoudtshoorn

So basically what you're looking for is some sampler capability from mpt... What sort though? Do you want beatmachine style sampling, where the sample is sliced into a whole bunch of little "sections", each of which can be individually played back? Or do you want a slightly more loopier system, where you can "snap" the cues to the beats? That is, you can tell mpt where each beat of the bar (or subbeat, or whatever) is, and it'll make sure that no matter what tempo the sample is played back, those cues are hit at the right time?

It sounds like you want to turn the sampler-ness of mpt into something a bit more serious than just playback, and I'm all for it. Another idea: why not integrate it with instruments? I'm guessing that this'll be mostly useful for pre-recorded beats/melodic phrases, which'll tend to be played at about the same pitch, right? So, assuming the beatmachine sampling above, why not assign a different note to each cue? For example, you could have normal notes C4..B6, then have cue 1 triggered by C6, cue 2 by C#6, and so on. That'd be a bit easier than using effects, and it's the way that most samplers seem to work, which would make it more "plug and play" friendly...

While you're waiting for this feature to be implemented, it might be worthwhile trawling the net for some sampler vstis, just to get a feel of what can be done, and how. I personally use Kontakt, which offers a whole lot more than I've outlined above, but there's a whole raft of other samplers available out there.