.48 Modplug hangs: Possible solution found?

Started by Saga Musix, July 09, 2007, 19:47:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
yes

Description of the bug:
As I already said before, Modplug sometimes just slows down my whole computer and i can't do anything anymore but terminating the program.
However, since i reinstalled windows, it didn't happen while tracking anymore.

However, now I found out that it still happens, but only under certain circumstances: When I use the File browser on the left side of the window (the thingy on the bottom). Modplug seems to look when I drag samples to my songs and switch between song playback and "tree playback" (ie. when i double-click on a wave file!). so if you - the programmers - want to solve this, you should probably have a look at the buffers. It looks to me like modplug intializes the playback buffers everytime i switch between tree playback and song playback, so there could be a bug...

Edit: Closed as this was mostly a driver-related issue and the actual fix (keeping the sound buffer open) is mentioned in another feature request.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Can you tell us what version(s) it happened in before? (it also says so in the bold written part ;) )
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

every openMPT version i had so far... the original MPT crashed even more, that was the reason why i switched to openMPT...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'm not sure if the programmers will be able to fix this though, cus this kind of behavor never happens to me, and I guess it neither happens to the programmers or it would've been fixed by now.

Can you create a step-by-step instruction on how to recreate this problem?

Can you also test to see what combination of software makes the crashing easier and what makes it harder? Cus it sounds like a problem outside of OpenMPT. Maybe faulty drivers?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I have no idea, coz i don't run any special programs in the background, my drivers are also up to date. i bet that it has something to do with the process of resetting the buffers, though (see also the thead i'm going to open in a sec)...

LPChip

Any idea about this? Or should we perhaps close this one?

Saga Musix

It may be related to the drivers of my soundcard as the situation got better with newer drivers, but the core problem - the re-initialization of the soundcard every time you play a sample from the treeview - remains, so I'd like to keep this bug open.