modplug being used as a VSTi

Started by dacess, July 08, 2007, 12:18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

dacess

Is there any possibility of modplug being used as a plugin in another software?

Sam_Zen

I don't think so. And why should it ? It's like asking Word being a plugin for Notepad.

Modplug is a stand-alone application, and a plugin is a totally different construction, and dependent of a Host.

Maybe some kind of connection could be possible between Modplug and another program, but I don't know that.
And maybe there exists some VSTi plugin with a tracker-like system, I dunno that either.

seventhson

Sam_Zen

Nice tip. And the page has a nice explanation about things, and why tracking is something else than using a sequencer.

dacess

Thanks guys. I'm gonna check this out. All i really want is a way to time-sync modplug with a multitrack software. I'm sure it cant be that difficult

Sam_Zen

QuoteI'm sure it cant be that difficult
This is a standard argument by the people who ask for a solution, never of the people who have to solve the problem.

dBlues

Using a tracker as VSTi can be very good option, especially if you record guitars and vocals on your songs. You can make adjustments to the song without rendering the whole song to .wav again, and still be able to hear all the tracks of the song (recorded & tracked).

There are trackers that can already do this (e.g. Skale, works ok in Cubase)

Another option is to use one of the sound data interfaces, like re-wire.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

dacess

Quote: From Sam Zen
QuoteThis is a standard argument by the people who ask for a solution, never of the people who have to solve the problem.

You are correct in saying this, as if it was that easy it would probably have been done already. My apologies to the programmers.

Roman Only

I agree, modplug would be great as a vst instrument. I primarily started making music in modplug, but eventually made the jump to a cubase/fruity loops combination. Being able to open FL in cubase has been a godsend, I can run my sequences and record guitars or vocals at the same time, never rendering my sequences to .wav. In order to use any of my old modplug songs, I have to:

1. resequence everything from scratch in fruity loops; OR;

2. render all of the tracks, ONE AT A TIME (not fun when you have 60+ tracks running) to wav, and move them into cubase. (this also seems to eat up more memory in cubase, as I'm running WAY more lengthy wavs.)

Also, both FL and ModPlug have their cool points, and being able to run them simultaneously from cubase would be positive, taking advantage of both interfaces.

So, when will we see a VSTi feature for ModPlug?

Oh, and Fruity Loops IS a stand alone application that can be used as a plugin for cubase, Sam_Zen. It's actually really cool!

seventhson

Chances of that ever happening are next to nothing i think lol
The fact that fruityloops is standalone and also useable as vsti isn't saying anything,you're talking about it as if it were real easy to make a vsti of modplug which most likely isn't easy at all.

Sam_Zen

2 Roman Only
I don't use cubase, I did test FL and I'm usually looking for cool results instead of cool tools.

In the meantime I noticed a plugin already with tracker-like properties.

Roman Only

Well, hopefully one day we might see this happen, especially because I've almost completely stopped using modplug since I've discovered FL VSTi. I think that's about the only feature that could bring me back around to tracking, until then, the FL step sequencer does almost everything MPT does, and lots of things it doesn't! Hopefully the tracking world can keep up with the technology!

dBlues

Quote from: "Roman Only"2. render all of the tracks, ONE AT A TIME (not fun when you have 60+ tracks running) to wav, and move them into cubase. (this also seems to eat up more memory in cubase, as I'm running WAY more lengthy wavs.)

Why would you want to render them one at a time?
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

LPChip

If you mean 60+ channels, then you can do export to wav, and check channel mode.

It will export all channels to a seperate wavefile.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Roman Only

Quote from: "LPChip"If you mean 60+ channels, then you can do export to wav, and check channel mode.

It will export all channels to a seperate wavefile.

Thanks for the tip LP! I still have a few old MP songs I need to render, and this will help greatly! It still takes a while for it to render all of them, but at least I don't have to stare at the screen for hours on end.

dBlues: I render them all seperately so that I can mix them in Cubase, as it has a much better eq situation. As for one at a time, I'll be using the tip LPChip just dropped me. :D

I still wish I could use ModPlug in Cubase, though.  :oops: