.48 Big bug: Overwriting existing modules

Started by Saga Musix, July 02, 2007, 12:53:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
-Dunno-
Quote from: "älskling"In 1.17.02.39 it worked correctly, i.e. it prompted for a file name. Haven't tested with other versions.

Description of the bug:
I opened a new module ("Module1"). I added a channel (on general tab) and accidently hit the "save" button. however, no "save as dialog" appered  - the module was saved as "Module1.it" without even asking me! I already had a module called "Module1.it" in this directory, thanx to my Backups, i was able to restore it...

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Open a new module, add a channel and hit "save".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

It was the same situation in previous versions.

I wouldn't call this a bug right away, let alone a big one. It's just a thing to be very alert about. It happened to me too once in a while.

1) as soon as something is edited, there is an asterisk added to the filename in the top program-bar, as a warning.
2) So I grew the habit to use the File menu for saving instead of the button, unless I was absolutely sure to replace a version.
3) So in that case, it would be annoying to be confronted with "are you sure ?" every time.
4) You can't expect from the 'save' button to bring up a 'save as' dialog, because these are 2 different functions in the file menu.
5) At least, if no save-action is involved, you get an 'save or not ?' dialog when you try to close the file.
6) This situation could be improved, I guess. Now, 'Save' is coupled with Ctrl+S. But 'Save As' doesn't have its own shortcut.
If it would have, maybe it could be more easy to add its own button on the bar as well.

bvanoudtshoorn

On a related note, the "A" key in the file menu is tied to "Add Sound Bank", not "Save As", as it is in 99% of all other software... I can't tell you how many times I have hit the [Alt]+[F] [A] key combo and been annoyed... =)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"4) You can't expect from the 'save' button to bring up a 'save as' dialog, because these are 2 different functions in the file menu.
No i can. If a module was never saved before (and was not loaded, of course), both functions HAVE to be the same. Like it's in other software. At least, in such a case...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

älskling

In 1.17.02.39 it worked correctly, i.e. it prompted for a file name. Haven't tested with other versions.

LPChip

Quote from: "älskling"In 1.17.02.39 it worked correctly, i.e. it prompted for a file name. Haven't tested with other versions.

Info added to 1st post. Thanks. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

seventhson

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"It was the same situation in previous versions.

I wouldn't call this a bug right away, let alone a big one. It's just a thing to be very alert about. It happened to me too once in a while.

When something happens that isn't supposed to happen inside the program it most definitely is a bug,and when this causes you to lose some very important data (or great ideas) i would call it a big bug and it has happened to me several times as well.

Sam_Zen

Sorry guys. I was way off course.
I thought this was about opening an existing module, instead of making a new one. Never noticed this Module1 default.

Relabsoluness

The problem seemed to be in the song properties dialog - simply opening it and then pressing OK 'sets the table' for overwriting. Please tell if it can be reproduced when not touching the dialog - at least I couldn't. And what comes to earlier versions, it happens at least with RC2.

Saga Musix

allright, that's the bug :) i could reproduce it the way you described it.

Saga Musix