.48 Bxx + Loop Pattern doesn't work as expected

Started by Saga Musix, June 30, 2007, 22:34:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Didn't happen in original MPT and OpenMPT build .45 (same configuration as .48 )

Description of the bug:
If you are in "loop pattern" mode and there is a Bxx command, MPT will jump to the specified pattern. That should not happen. Everything works okay with the Cxx (skip to row XX in next pattern) effect, it will stay in the same pattern, as expected!

How often does it happen?:
Always

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Create some empty patterns. put a B00 effect in one of the patterns. press play, skip to that pattern and turn on "loop pattern". you'll see that openMPT will skip back to pattern 0.

Edit: Moved to the issue tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=15
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I wouldn't know about previous versions, because I hardly used this.
But confirmed. Checked with XM-format.
And I agree, that this is quite illogical behaviour.

Relabsoluness

This one is also a result of a bug fix which caused behavior change. Yes I agree that it's better not to change these behaviors, but I disagree that this behavior is somehow less logical - almost on the contrary: pattern loop having any effect on C__ or B__ seems somewhat illogical: I don't see Pattern loop being the same as 'lock playback to this order/pattern regardless of modeffects'.

Sam_Zen

You've convinced me. A better point of view actually.

Saga Musix

But not me :D
In fact, i often loop my patterns several times to ensure that i put every single note correctly. and i guess you CAN imagine how nerv-wrecking it is when the tracker leaves my patterns... :evil:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

What are we going to do with this bug?

We either should have a discussion on what we want as behavor and make a decision based on its outcome, or we should decide what to do with the bug as is...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Well, two devs with different opinions... Now this could lead to a commit war, but I'm not that evil. :P

Harbinger

Perhaps there should be an option to do one or the other of these behaviors based on the setting of Loop Pattern.

Anywho, i have to address this in the OHM....let us know.

Saga Musix

Well, there's not much reason for the new behaviour, apart from that it fixes a very weird behaviour of the playing engine that I have not been able to fix yet.