Program icon

Started by Sam_Zen, June 30, 2007, 02:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Because I used an old stable version of OMPT parallel to some new beta-version to test things out, I used different icons
for both versions. I did this by using an external .ICO file extracted from the splash screen in my file manager, to
indicate that the version was the beta one.
Now I played around with Resource Hacker and discovered that the 'mptrack.exe' file contains two identical icons.
The red 'filmsheet' one. So I replaced the second one with the splash version, and it worked.
One can find the patched RC2 v.48 .exe here (some pre/post file-renaming has to be done to replace it):
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/mptrack_2.exe

Saga Musix

Windows explorer still uses the first icon. If you just wanted to get another icon, that would have been much easier :)
You can create a shortcut to your exe file and assign an own icon to the shortcut ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Didn't know about exploder, because I don't use it. But I see the logic of the first one of the two.
The shortcut method was how I did this so far, but with this occasion I can get rid of the external ICO-file.
So I updated the file with a reversed order of icons.

Saga Musix

I also wondered why Explorer chooses the first icon, because normally, it chosses  the icon with "better" quality. So if the first icon is 16-colour and the second icon is 256-colour, it should normally display the 2nd icon... But I'm not sure if that rule's only used for the "sub-icons" of an icon...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Correction: Windows Explorer uses the first icon by default.

If you click change Icon, and you browse to OpenMPT, you can then select between all icons inside, to select a different one.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

ah yes, i think i swapped that with the subicons then...

Waxhead

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"... exploder ...

Hahahah you got the point ;) I stay away from explorer... excuse me EXPLODER since it blows up in your face all the time hehe. Impressive that a company as big as M$ can survive it's business with something so crappy!

Sam_Zen

In the meantime I found out how to add more icons to the exe, but the trouble is, as with the favicon, that a design can look very nice at 400x400, but if one has to decrease the size to 32x32, most of the time almost nothing is left of the pic.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"... exploder ...

Hahahah you got the point ;) I stay away from explorer... excuse me EXPLODER since it blows up in your face all the time hehe. Impressive that a company as big as M$ can survive it's business with something so crappy!

that's what i call Internet Explorer :D In fact, it's the same program, and the standard "windows explorer" is not the best solution, but i can stand it... i don't need any "file manager" program.