Recording or..

Started by kit beats, May 28, 2007, 15:18:42

Previous topic - Next topic

kit beats

Hey, what i liked from the beginning of tracking was that i have a song with channels offcourse, and i can put channels on and off so i can listen to the sounds on the channels and not!

My question is now, and hopefully it's possible :

Can i record when i let my track flow and put channels on and off?!
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

LPChip

You cannot strictly record and put channels on and off from whitin OpenMPT itself.

You can however record your wav device from your soundcard using an external program. You then just start playing around and record everything you hear on your pc.

Its better though to program the changes. You can mute/unmute channels by setting its volume using the Mxx effect. M40 = vol 64, M00 = vol 0.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

LPChip is right, recording to a wav while playing is the only option. The only live thing that OMPT can record is adding keystrokes with a selected sample in for example an empty channel while the module is running. (Pattern tab)

But for live playing is OMPT since build 46 tremendously improved.
(maybe I should make a topic about this in the Techdocs)

I will mention a few. This is the context-menu when R-clicking on a channel-button with the options :

~ Muting/unmuting a channel can also be done with a Ctrl-L-click on the button. It will toggle the status at the transition
~ Of course it was already possible to play with the pattern loop box
~ Same Ctrl-L-click can be used in the pattern-row. One can jump back and forth in the row, also happening on the transition.

kit beats

sorry but i dont understand. the mute things works perfectly.
What means on transition?

While im just like old times clicking with my mouse on the channel to go on and off.

Keep it simple : i want to play my piece in MP.

record (the whole thing), and save.  i think that's not possible.
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Sam_Zen

MPT can't record your clicking on mute buttons during a running song, simply because mute/unmute channels is a song property,
not a pattern property. So you can't have pattern 3 with channel 10 muted, and at the same time pattern 4 with ch 10 unmuted.
Btw : make sure that, before you want to save a song as WAV, all the channel-buttons are unmuted again.

QuoteWhat means on transition?
Good question. Transition is the moment the last row of a pattern is played, and the first row of the next pattern starts.
(NL:"de overgang") Just try it out to hear the difference.

2 LPChip
Of course the M-code can be a nice solution for this. I suppose this code default is placed in the top row of a pattern.
If so, then there is a complication if the line is already filled with codes in all three columns.