Multilingual MPT?

Started by Saga Musix, June 07, 2007, 10:17:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Hi,
is it possible to add support for different languages to OpenMPT?
Coz that would be cool... :lol:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pelya

Quote from: "Jojo"Hi,
is it possible to add support for different languages to OpenMPT?
Coz that would be cool... :lol:
I've got more problems with figuring out what is portamento/ tremolo/ vibrato/ glissando/ other Italian music terms. Everyone knows English IMHO (unless they won't write to this forum  :)  ).

Saga Musix

well, i guess that you just can't translate those terms into any language. The music language is italian... :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Well, I personally wouldn't want the tracker to be in another language.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

aGIANTpupafish

my first language is english...

so i'm happy  :D
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Waxhead

I think it's more important things to do first than add support for more languages. Everyone knows English anyway!

Saga Musix

of course, it's not high-priority. but believe me, i know  a LOT people who don't know english...

Relabsoluness

Sometime ago I was working on something that made me think about tracker words in my native language, and based on that, I guess translator would have to be quite creative - I couldn't even come up with a satisfactory word for pattern :)

Waxhead

That's a good point. I'm Norwegian and I tried to translate a few things like pattern, samples, panning, cuttoff, etc....
In Norwegian these translations sounds incredibly stupid.
And btw: Jojo... hehe don't get me wrong but German people are usually pretty fanatic about their language right? (everything is dubbed) ;)

LPChip

I wouldn't translate stuff like patterns and such. Only the menu items.

I think patterns and sampels etc, are tracker terms.

Instruments could be translated, but samples would be translated as something like: audio fragments, which just makes it weird, and samples is a better technical term anyway.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"I wouldn't translate stuff like patterns and such. Only the menu items.
absolutely right, that's what i was thinking of!

@waxhead: on the other side, i know a lot ppl (like me) who rather prefer English than German ;P

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
@waxhead: on the other side, i know a lot ppl (like me) who rather prefer English than German ;P

If thats the case, then why suggest different languages? :o

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Jojo"

If thats the case, then why suggest different languages? :o
Perhaps he prefer spanish over german?!  8)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Waxhead"Perhaps he prefer spanish over german?!  8)
of course i do :P

it was not a request for myself, it was rather a general request, for people who don't know english too well ;)

Sam_Zen

Language support is not one of my priorities. Also, as LPChip said, terms like pattern, sample, envelope are global words in the field of electronic music. Sometimes I have to explain MPT to kids, then I use the dutch word for pattern, but I'm still
talking about 'samples'.

Quote from: "pelya".. figuring out what is portamento/ tremolo/ vibrato/ glissando/ other Italian music terms.
The same thing is valid here. The origin is Italian, but they have become global music terms now.
(btw : tremolo = AM, vibrato = FM)

One option though could be to have the .hlp file of MPT in different languages.