Linux Version ?

Started by Aisyk, June 02, 2007, 22:42:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Aisyk

Hi all,

I'm an old user of Modplug Tracker since 1.07 :D
I was on Win98, with his bugs and blue screens... Today i'm on Kubuntu with Beryl, Ardour2, Jack and others that makes Linux a great platform to create music. But i don't have Modplug Tracker. Many trackers in linux are good ones but none of them can satisfy me.

Is there a linux version planed of Modplug Tracker ?

I think i'll go to Qpscycle, the linux version of Pscycle, i think they may help you for a linux version of modplug...
http://psycle.sourceforge.net/wiki/Qpsycle

LPChip

The problem with MODPlug Tracker is, that the binaries used to compile MPT are windows binaries. The program team lacks the capabilities to make it OS independend.

As long as we can't find an alternative, it will not be possible yet.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I can't guarantee it, but I know that a lot of people (myself included) have had a _lot_ success using MPT under WINE. It's not perfect - there are a few bugs, mainly because MPT has so much customised gui coding, but it's definitely usable (or at least, it was when I tried). What I do is use a dual-boot system - I know, I know, it means I'm still bowing to the evil empire, but hey... I can't try MPT under my Fedora at the moment, 'cos my Creative X-Fi doesn't make any noise under Linux at all. Mildly annoying...
 I seriously recommend you give WINE a shot, though. If you can't get the latest bleeding-edge version of mpt to work, you should at least be able to get an older version going - I definitely had the first Wild release going at one stage. =) It's even the WINE AppDB.
 Your biggest problem would probably be in using VSTs and VSTis - these'll probably be a little bit problematic if you use super-heavy-duty VSTs or what-have-yous which have all sorts of hacks and stuff under the hood. =)

Developers: Maybe it'd be worth taking a page out of Google's book, and looking at doing what they did with Picasa - a customised version of Wine to run the app... That way, you wouldn't have to rewrite everything from scratch.

Ref: http://winehq.org
Ref: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=497

Aisyk

Open MPT doesn't run on wine 0.9.38 with Kubuntu 7.04, interface is good but no sound or a loop with the first samples... No usable to create music...

For VST/VSTi, Ardour2 makes a big jump in his compatibility with them.

Although, wine isn't the good plateform for sound application, many of them had problems with wine because a lot of things are bad or not supported (MIDI, Dsound...).

I think OMPT in linux must be the next step to go on further improvement (low latency system, connectivity...).

Relabsoluness

Aisyk

Thank you, i will try with vmware if i can run it...

qbg

Quote from: "Aisyk"Open MPT doesn't run on wine 0.9.38 with Kubuntu 7.04, interface is good but no sound or a loop with the first samples... No usable to create music...
I just tried it with the wine available in Kubuntu 7.10 and it has worked great so far...
I hope to gain some ModPlug Tracker skills someday...