What can i do with a midi keyboard?

Started by kit beats, June 01, 2007, 15:51:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Thanks Jojo, for upgrading my knowledge about the current situation.

kit beats

can someone help me, i now got a EMU (midi 1x1) usb cable set!

I have the midi out in the keyboard and the usb in the pc.

But how can i listen something? and what program?
I think there is no sound in the keyboard and i must use the midi in IN the keyboard.

Regards,
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Saga Musix

midi is not about sound, it's about data. if you want to hear something from your keyboard, you'll need to connect an audio cable to your pc's soundcard.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

kit beats

Quote from: "Jojo"midi is not about sound, it's about data. if you want to hear something from your keyboard, you'll need to connect an audio cable to your pc's soundcard.

Yes, thank you.

I have a new cable : USB / midi in + out cable..

This thing only has a midi out, like this:

And now i want to set music in it and record.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

use this tutorial until "step 5".
after that you go to the instrument tab and play something on your keyboard
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

kit beats

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"use this tutorial until "step 5".
after that you go to the instrument tab and play something on your keyboard

BSV, this works, i have sound (what i do on my pc keyboard i can do now on my midiboard).
:)

kit beats

At this moment i think i dont need a midi keyboard, cus i do the same things on my pc keyboard.

But i want to put files (midi) in the midi keyboard and record, is that possible?

Regards & nice weekend,

LPChip

Quote from: "Samplekit"At this moment i think i dont need a midi keyboard, cus i do the same things on my pc keyboard.

But i want to put files (midi) in the midi keyboard and record, is that possible?

Regards & nice weekend,

If your midi keyboard also has a stand alone application where it produces sound, it most likelly is possible, but I can't guarantee that though.

If its possible, you'll need to be able to have a midi driver in your control panel that allows you to send midi out data to. Set this driver as your primairy sound for playing midi's and then play a midi in your media player. It should then play it through your keyboard. If you have winamp or xmplay with the in_midi.dll plugin, you'll also be able to play a midi file and use a .DLS to play that midi using this soundfont. You might get really good results that way too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Samplekit"

could you please explain that a little more clearly?
i'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve by that....

so your midi-keyboard has some instruments itself and you want your midi
to be played with those instruments, right?

you could just play the midi files in OMPT
and change the instruments from your sample-/vst-pool....

but ok... if that's what you want you might wanna try what LP said

kit beats

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"
Quote from: "Samplekit"

could you please explain that a little more clearly?
i'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve by that....

as i see it your keyboard doesn't have any instruments itself
so i totally don't understand the purpose of sending midi data to it.

for just playing midi files i think you can just use OMPT

:?:  :?:  :?:

Hey BSV,

Thanks for your reply,

I asked LP about this yesterday, and your right.

For playing i can use this midikeyboard but if i want to put things in it and record i also need a midi input in the keyboard, what this thing don't got :o

I must go to a store or something to buy a deesend(?!:)) midi keyboard + a sampler maybe, for beginners. so i can see how things working.

I understand this now, right now i keep on playing with the samples.

Regards!

I I I I ..hmnzz :nuts:

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

kit beats

hahah, yes, i got a bunch of midi files, remix it,  get the samples out of the files or something.
Please dont say im crazy :lol:

LPChip

Quote from: "Samplekit"Please dont say im crazy :lol:

Okay, then I won't. :nuts:

But seriously. SampleKit wanted to play midi files over his keyboard which generally is a very good way to play midi files. When I do this over both my Yamaha PSR-740 and Roland FP-2, I get very good sound. Much better than playing over windows and even when I use soundbanks, I usually get better sound with my keyboard because those sounds were made together to be good whereas a SF2 bank sometimes isn't that good (soundquality wise, or how the sounds fit together), or its so big that you run into other problems.

In SampleKits case, the keyboard he uses is only a midi controller. It doesn't have buildin speakers or a sampling unit. It can't produce any sound, only send out midi data through its midi-out interface.

Oh, and SampleKit, its "decent" (dutch: redelijk als in redelijk goed/vrij normaal/goed genoeg)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

buying a new midi-keyboard just to play some midi files still sounds a little odd to me, but i'll accept that geekyness  
:nuts:

kit beats

mwHUAAaaaa (where is that chat/shoutbox) :boogie: