What can i do with a midi keyboard?

Started by kit beats, June 01, 2007, 15:51:43

Previous topic - Next topic

kit beats

The thing is, i buy samples..a lot of samples.

Now i want to make my own samples, with a keyboard i guess.

Or am i totally wrong?
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

LPChip

Quote from: "Samplekit"The thing is, i buy samples..a lot of samples.

Now i want to make my own samples, with a keyboard i guess.

Or am i totally wrong?

You could sample the sounds from your keyboard, but what you're after can also be archieved without a keyboard. If its purelly for the sounds of the keyboard, then its a very expensive solution.

Many keyboards also have a VST Instrument representation.

For instance, From my head, you've posted a Korg Wavestation keyboard. Korg also has the sounds in software form. Do a google for Korg Novastation (which is a suite with WaveStation in it. They have a demo version of their plugin which will give you some noise every now and then, but it allows you to see how well the plugins are. You can then use it to sample from, or when you're ready, you can use the VSTi directly in OpenMPT, which will give a much richer sound than sampling can every give you. (just less features, but that should be elimiated somewhere in the future.)

Besides, there are tons of other VSTi's and also free ones, which you can use to sample from too.

But if you also want to use the keyboard to play on, then other things are at stake too.

Its a matter of what you want really. Just sampling, no other toying around, then certainly not buy a keyboard, but look out for (much cheaper) VSTi's.

EDIT: my bad... I read novastation... but its Novation. Okay, this keyboard is probably not available in VSTi form, but I'm sure there are tons of VSTi's that can get equal sound.

Btw, to give you an indication of what I mean with hardware vs software:

Here's Korg's site about their software recreation of their original Hardware, along with demo's and everything: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=KLC1D&category_id=8
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

kit beats

Thanks LPchip,

Can you tell me, what is that software?
Where i can put my vst instruments in and make samples, easy..just play the sound (on a keyboard on or off screen) and record!

I allways used straight buyed samples, and Native absynth 3..nice program for atmosphere, great noise sounds..etc..but mostly not the right sounds for me.

But..working with that..a keyboard and plugins of sounds.making my own sample, its great!

Nice weekend by the way..:boogie:

LPChip

You can load these plugins directly into OpenMPT, and use them instead of samples.

If you want to record samples from them, make a short song with one C-5 note in it, and render to wave :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

kit beats

but is there a program like a keyboard on screen and record what i play on the keyboard where the vst's are plugged in?

LPChip

There are many programs.

OpenMPT is one of them though. It will not give you a keyboard on screen, but thats not required, unless you need that keyboard to be displayed. But I couldn't think of any reason when I wrote this.

Most programs have keyboard input like OpenMPT, so you can use your QWERTY keyboard to play the notes, or also an external midi keyboard.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

ok, i got it... really was only that little midi-button  :lol:

so then... how do i assign vst-params to my potis and mod-wheel?  :wink:
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

LPChip

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"ok, i got it... really was only that little midi-button  :lol:

Sometimes things are so simple :D

As for the assignment of vstparams... I don't think thats possible in OpenMPT.

kit beats

Ok people, i got 1, check it out :boogie: BUT..

i have just a problem that i don't have a joystick input on my soundcard, only usb and now my dad has a cable that's like in the beginning a midi out and a (head)phone input on the other hand of the cable..is that ok??

Or is it a must to buy a midi usb interface??

Midismart :lol:

LPChip

You'll need a midi usb interface.

The decive you're talking about, is (if I'm not mistaken) for electric guitars to transfer incoming sounds to midi notes. The output here is the midi cable however, so you would still need something to connect it to your computer.

I'm not sure though if there are midi2usb convertors, but I wouldn't see a reason why there wouldn't be any...

EDIT: okay, so there's one... http://www.musicdeals.nl/index.php?productID=15950 LOL (description is in english)

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Samplekit"i don't have a joystick input on my soundcard, only usb and now my dad has a cable that's like in the beginning a midi out and a (head)phone input on the other hand of the cable
Some technical comment on this :
It's quite rare, as far as I know, that your soundcard doesn't have a joystick connection.
But on most card these lines are embedded into one connector which also includes the MIDI-lines.
So one needs a splitting cable to make both functions connectable.

Your dad's cable can be interpreted in different ways. It depends on the type of plug that's used.
Is the one you call 'midi out' a standard MIDI 5-pole DIN-connector ? Then it could be valid for 'midi in' as well.
I don't see any reason for a 'headphone input', because a headphone is no soundsource. Is it a stereo 3.5 mm jack?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"It's quite rare, as far as I know, that your soundcard doesn't have a joystick connection.
not rare anymore. midi input has be succeeded by USB these days, even for joysticks.  most mainboards still have a connector for onboard joystick, though. you can add a joystick plug to your standard pci slots then. But this is not the best option for recording, i'd rather prefer a home-recording audio card which has "real" midi (1x in, 1x out) plugs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Samplekit"
i have just a problem that i don't have a joystick input on my soundcard, only usb and now my dad has a cable that's like in the beginning a midi out and a (head)phone input on the other hand of the cable..is that ok??

erm... doesn't your keyboard have a normal usb-output?
if it has one you don't need any midi-cables....

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"

as everyone should know this lp-statement isn't true anymore for .51
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

kit beats

Quote from: "SamZen"Is it a stereo 3.5 mm jack?

Yes i think it is, i buyed the midi keyboard for 20 euro's now im must buy a plug USB/midi for 30 euro  :lol:

kit beats

Quote from: "Samplekit"

erm... doesn't your keyboard have a normal usb-output?
if it has one you don't need any midi-cables....

Quote from: "LPChip"

as everyone should know this lp-statement isn't true anymore for .51

Only 1 midi output..what you want for that money?! :)
Im going to play when i got this thing working,

Regards!