(all versions) a bug or a feature? [resolved]

Started by gamez, May 29, 2007, 20:03:03

Previous topic - Next topic

gamez

hello

when i play a note (looped or not) the cpu shows an activity until i clic on the stop button.
you can try it, even if the note is played and finished the cpu continues to "work" until you clic on stop.

is it a bug?

Saga Musix

firstly: please post such things at the bug reports forums, scroll down to see these ;)
secondly: that's no bug as the output buffer is kept busy which is needed, f.e. for some plugins (e.g. a plugin that needs very long at startup to load)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

gamez

Quotefirstly: please post such things at the bug reports forums, scroll down to see these ;)
didn't know it was a bug, i just asked before to be sure.

Quotesecondly: that's no bug as the output buffer is kept busy which is needed, f.e. for some plugins (e.g. a plugin that needs very long at startup to load)
i dont understand
i have no plugins installed and the note needs about 0.5sec to be played,
if i dont clic on the stop button during 10min, the cpu will work during 10min. why do i need to clic stop to have a normal load.

Sam_Zen

Much to vague this. Playing a note with what and when ? Realtime or playback, and with what ?

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"firstly: please post such things at the bug reports forums, scroll down to see these ;)
He asked it in general chatter because he was not sure. I think he did the right thing before posting it as a bug.

Quote from: "Jojo"
secondly: that's no bug as the output buffer is kept busy which is needed, f.e. for some plugins (e.g. a plugin that needs very long at startup to load)
You first say that he must post it as a bug, and then you say its not a bug. You're clearly speaking against yourself. Its not a bug, and its not really a request either.

He noticed some odd behavor and merelly wanted support for that. General Chatter is the right place for that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "gamez"
Quotefirstly: please post such things at the bug reports forums, scroll down to see these ;)
didn't know it was a bug, i just asked before to be sure.

Quotesecondly: that's no bug as the output buffer is kept busy which is needed, f.e. for some plugins (e.g. a plugin that needs very long at startup to load)
i dont understand
i have no plugins installed and the note needs about 0.5sec to be played,
if i dont clic on the stop button during 10min, the cpu will work during 10min. why do i need to clic stop to have a normal load.

The sound processing that is going in does indeed take some cpu, even if nothing is being played. The reason is simple: once you play a note, the soundbuffer is set to open, but OpenMPT does not detect when this note stopped playing, because it could be a looped sound, or just a really long note. In fact, doing all these checks will probably cost more CPU usage, than it would gain if the audio was monitored like that.

I do not considder this a bug, but a side-effect of how the program works.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"He noticed some odd behavor and merelly wanted support for that. General Chatter is the right place for that.
what i meant: if he thinks it could be a bug, he *should* post it as a bug report. I just said that it's not a bug at all :) (wee, i  think that's logical :nuts:)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "LPChip"He noticed some odd behavor and merelly wanted support for that. General Chatter is the right place for that.
what i meant: if he thinks it could be a bug, he *should* post it as a bug report. I just said that it's not a bug at all :) (wee, i  think that's logical :nuts:)
Since you're into learning english, let me give you some gramar lessons then. :)

You wrote:

... please post such things at the bug reports forums, scroll down to see these.

By saying such things, you refer to the thing you're replying on, which is the content of the 1st post. You asked him to make that same post in the bug-report forum, which indicates that you find his post to be a bug report.

Saga Musix

gamez

ok it's clear now! thanks everybody for your help  :)