Real Time pattern loop

Started by Sam_Zen, November 29, 2005, 01:41:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Already highly useful additions are in ver RC2 regarding smooth real-time playback of a module,
by introducing the change-command-after-pattern-transition.
The option I would ask for, as a final completion of this, is the option to be able to toggle a single pattern on the pattern-bar of the module between 'repeat current pattern' or 'play pattern once'.
Properties :
- Manually enabling/disabling of this loop-state, so after a disable, the song will (synced) continue with the next pattern.
- A key-input to make a transition-jump to another pattern, previous or further from the current position
on the pattern-bar, means ending the loop-state of the current pattern at the transition-byte.
Choosing a certain number of set times the current pattern will be repeated, before continuing, maybe a
nice fine-tuning in this.
To make OMPT into a tool for optimal module-playback in realtime-composition or presentations.
Example :
In this way one could use OMPT playing some module as a 'soundtrack' with some rapper real time,
because one can easily control the repeats and transitions-jumps of the patterns, according to the
texts and the refrains being used.
In this way even an instrumental solo can be added, by repeating a certain pattern, and adding an
external instrument, or enabling extra channels. By choice, according to the circumstances.

Squirrel Havoc

Doesn't CTRL-Click on the pattern in the sequence already so some of that? I never used it, just heard about it. It all sounds like it would be a nice addition to MPT, although I never plan on using it live :)
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

2Squirrel Havoc
CTRL-Click on the pattern in the sequence indeed does the job, but one has to activate this again and again, otherwise the playback will continue with the next pattern in the row. So one is forced to CTRL-Click again, inside the time of the running pattern manually, before the transition to the next pattern is taking place.

Sam_Zen

Normally I don't like the trick to add a post to one's own to get it back again on the recent order, but
this one I find really important, because it's the only function, if added,that would make real time
playback of a module perfect to perform.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"- Manually enabling/disabling of this loop-state, so after a disable, the song will (synced) continue with the next pattern.
At least there is a buggy version of this in the latest build(or I don't really understand that 'synced' so I might be misunderstanding something here.)

Sam_Zen

2 Relabsoluness
Sorry, with 'synced' I just meant that the change is made not instantly, but only after the pattern-transition after the last row. So the song keeps on being played back fluently, with some jump in the pattern-order, or (un)muting channels.
So far I haven't experienced any buggy behaviour of this in RC2 I must say.
But it seems that these features are valid in the pattern-editor, but still not implemented in the channel manager.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"So far I haven't experienced any buggy behaviour of this in RC2 I must say.
I meant only the 'Manually enabling/disabling of this loop-state', which is available in the latest development build.

Sam_Zen

Thanks. I overlooked that you mentioned 'latest build'. So far I didn't spent much time with it, but I'm going to test these particular options thoroughly now.

This live-playback issue is very important to me. I'm not only a composer burning his tracks on a CD, but I am invited to give local workshops about electronic sound, so I am setting up a laptop to use in schools, music classes.
To show that there is more to it, than only those 'easy-to-do, flashy, groove-makers'. Apps that gets boring for most kids after a short while, because it's mainly presets.

Second important live-playback application I'm planning is, to use MPT as a live instrument playing together with some other musicians. Something like the DJ, playing his table with the scratching and beats, for the rappers.
So I suppose you understand the importance of the handling of MPT keeping 'in time' when making a change.

In this case my final request feature would be : If a 'stop playing' is pressed, either in song or in pattern mode, then the stop only will be executed after the current pattern is finished (the same 'transition'-routine).

Sam_Zen

So : Beta 39 report (running W2K) :

I have played with the beta using these live-tools and so far everything went smooth. Switching 'pattern-loop' on/off,
jumping back and forth in the pattern-order, (un)muting channels, all happened without any problems while playing back a song. Great !!
I will test the same with the generic version on the laptop, running W98.

One buggy thing though : if during playback the option 'loop pattern' has been activated, the song will be repeated playing from the set 'restart' pattern of the song, no matter if option 'loop song' is enabled or not.
I had to save the song and open it again, to avoid this. I could still make the jumps and mute, and as long as I didn't
use 'loop pattern'. the song would be ended properly after the last pattern.

EDIT:
Just tested : So far the behaviour is exactly the same on the W98 machine.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"One buggy thing though : if during playback the option 'loop pattern' has been activated, the song will be repeated playing from the set 'restart' pattern of the song, no matter if option 'loop song' is enabled or not.
I had to save the song and open it again, to avoid this. I could still make the jumps and mute, and as long as I didn't
use 'loop pattern'. the song would be ended properly after the last pattern.
Indeed enabling 'loop pattern' causes 'loop song' to be enabled, but I think the 'loop song'-status can be reset from the 'loop song'-checkbox in the general tab without needing to reload.

In case you face some other bugs, I could mention that I have noticed:
-In certain cases unchecking 'loop pattern' causes the playback to jump instantly to another pattern.
-Buggy behavior with some pattern commands, such as 'break pattern'.

Hopefully all of these will be fixed in the next build.

Squirrel Havoc

You know what we need? Someone to write a tutorial on how to use OpenMPT live, detailing all these features and others that people (including myself) might not know about.  8)
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Indeed enabling 'loop pattern' causes 'loop song' to be enabled, but I think the 'loop song'-status can be reset from the 'loop song'-checkbox in the general tab without needing to reload.
In case you face some other bugs, I could mention that I have noticed:
-In certain cases unchecking 'loop pattern' causes the playback to jump instantly to another pattern.
-Buggy behavior with some pattern commands, such as 'break pattern'.
Because the checkbox of 'loop song' all the time stayed disabled, no matter if I used 'loop pattern' or not, I will try the trick of doing that box on/off during the process, to see if it acts properly after that.
I didn't had such problems with unchecking 'loop pattern', so maybe this is a XP item (if you use that).
I will test the 'break pattern' command.

2 Squirrel Havoc
A very nice idea. Because it is quite a different perspective of use. OMPT is to compose a piece and save it.
The 'player' aspect is another thing. Because it's not only the final stereotrack, but still all the channels are available plus the way the pattern-order will be played back. This gives a very elegant way of controlling the output live.
So far, I consider building a whole tutorial a bit too much for this issue, but I will contemplate about a special topic about this, or otherwise make some tips and tricks pages on my site about it, to refer to.

Sam_Zen

2 Relabsoluness
The assumption appears to be correct.
If a song is played, and somewhere the pattern-loop is used, the song will jump to the restart-position, no matter the state of the 'Loop Song' checkbox and continue to play. Only if after the last used 'pattern-loop' option there has been added, during playback, an extra clicking on/off of the 'Loop Song' box, the song will stop properly at the end.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I didn't had such problems with unchecking 'loop pattern', so maybe this is a XP item (if you use that).
That shouldn't be a os-dependent thing(but good that you haven't encountered those :))  - that, as well as the 'loop song' bugs are simply due to mistakes I made in the ompt code, but I already might have fixes for those so they might be in the next build.