Channel duplicate - mute status

Started by Sam_Zen, May 28, 2007, 07:20:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

In the patternrow 'duplicate' means copy the current pattern with content and paste it in a new, next pattern.
Suppose you just want 4 out of the 32 channels being silent in that next pattern.
Then it would be quite efficient if the mute/unmute status of the channels is included in the copy-data to paste
the new pattern-duplicate.

LPChip

Why not just Duplicate, and then ALT-L (select channel), delete?

IMHO, MODPlug Tracker shouldn't contain features that are just made to deal with someone's lazyness :P (not ment as an insult)

Don't forget that MODPlug Tracker is a music editor. The last thing I wouldn't want, is that when I duplicate a pattern, I loose information because I had silenced out a few channels by accident.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Thats I way of filosofi I dont share with you, MPT should made so easy as possible, so I can focus on my creativity and time on the music, and not by punching and doing everything manually.
^^

Sam_Zen

I'm sorry but I can't agree with both of you.
I'm not a lazy bugger and I don't care about doing things manually. On the contrary, it's the power of MPT, that everything
can be controlled, so I certainly wouldn't like that be replaced by some 'easy' automatisms.

Btw, LPChip, I meant muting channels, not deleting the content. Because maybe in the next duplicate I want to unmute those
channels again.

Normally, for the editing, this would be quite useless, but this has a special reason. I regularly play tracker modules in
realtime, so live muting/unmuting channels, loop patterns, jumps in the pattenrow, etc. This playing can't be recorded in
some way, so I want to reconstruct it with tools like this.
But I admit, it's a minor thing with low priority, so I close it.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Btw, LPChip, I meant muting channels, not deleting the content. Because maybe in the next duplicate I want to unmute those
channels again.

Normally, for the editing, this would be quite useless, but this has a special reason. I regularly play tracker modules in
realtime, so live muting/unmuting channels, loop patterns, jumps in the pattenrow, etc. This playing can't be recorded in
some way, so I want to reconstruct it with tools like this.
But I admit, it's a minor thing with low priority, so I close it.

Oh, my appologies. I didn't knew you ment that, and I also didn't knew that it didn't do that by default. I though that the channel status was just a song thing, not pattern thing.

This is indeed a bug that could be persuit. I was affraid of loosing content, but its just a matter of the channel mute/unmote/solo status being reset.

I'd say: lets reopen, and let the programmers give it a priority. I know that pelya likes to make small modifications to learn the code, so this could be something for him.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

pelya

I haven't quite understood what do you talking about here. Is that assigning channels mute/unmute/mute on transition status to each pattern individually instead of the whole song? So when you select another pattern different channels are muted? And save that into songfile?
About live performance: maybe make some feature to record keypresses with their exact time and make demo-recording from that (like demos in Doom/Quake/other 3d-shooters) ? If we'll do that we'll could implement network protocol ::). Just another insane thought  :P .
--- Yeah, I still dream of writing a computer game  :oops: .

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"In the patternrow 'duplicate' means copy the current pattern with content and paste it in a new, next pattern.
Suppose you just want 4 out of the 32 channels being silent in that next pattern.
Then it would be quite efficient if the mute/unmute status of the channels is included in the copy-data to paste
the new pattern-duplicate.
I don't quite understand this. Channel mute-status is mod specific, not pattern specific, so 'including mute/unmute status to pattern data copying' sounds bit vague, or would you actually like to have it pattern/order specific, or that some modcommands would be added on duplicate to 'mimic' muting?

Sam_Zen

Just lately I placed a download of a module on this forum, but I forgot that I had fooled around with it before uploading,
so Jojo warned me that some of the channels of the song were muted. My conclusion is that such channel information can
be saved with its variables in the result. So I thought, maybe those variables, taken from a single pattern, could be added to
the copy-data of that pattern, beside the note-content of the pattern, to create a next pattern.
The idea is, to avoid the problem, LPChip was talking about, by deleting channels to make a copy without them. Just paste
the pattern to a new duplicate, but with some channels muted. So the code-material is still there, but not heard.

This not about the realtime playing conditions, its an editing issue.

Quote from: "pelya"So when you select another pattern different channels are muted?
I wasn't asking for this consequence, it's a step further. Let alone saving those variables for each pattern in the pattern-row
to save it into a complete song. So far it's just a matter of which currently set variables are taken into account during a
copy-paste action.

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I don't quite understand this. Channel mute-status is mod specific, not pattern specific
You're right. So far this status is global, and maybe this request is about a local setting.

I didn't realise this when starting, but this indeed has quite some influence of how to build up the pattern-row.

LPChip

So I guess, that you're after the following:

if you duplicate a pattern that is muted, it also adds an M00 to the 1st row? (set channelvolume to 0)

Sam_Zen

No, it's not about adding any code.
It's about the status of all channel-buttons, added to the properties of the pattern, to make the duplicate.

LPChip

Sorry, but I still don't see what the difference is than what we have now.

Can you perhaps describe what happens now, and how that picture is being altered in your vision?

Sam_Zen

No, I should say sorry, because I'm a complete fool...
Indeed this request already can be done.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"No, I should say sorry, because I'm a complete fool...
Indeed this request already can be done.

LOL.

Well, to make it better for you.... You're not a complete fool. A fool perhaps, but not completelly. I wouldn't give a complete fool moderator powers. :nuts: