Support for outdated version MPT?

Started by LPChip, October 11, 2005, 11:13:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we continue to support the outdated version of Modplug Tracker (2003)?

Yes please. (see post)
8 (44.4%)
Nah, am using newest anyway. (see post)
10 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 11, 2005, 11:13:23

LPChip

Im curious to all your opinions. We're setting up a new site and everything, so a download page will have to be constructed aswell. Would it be a good idea to support the older version too? or only the newest OS version?

No hard feelings towards Olivier, as he did a tremendous job there, but its outdated. Im curious if there are any people that are actually still downloading the old version for any reason...

Please also leave a post why yes, or why no.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

"pro 1.16" because there are always people who use their programmes for years without updating because they don't want to

and if for some reason (e.g. HDD crash) their version gets lost they won't have any possibility to get it back

there's always stubborn people, you know ;)
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

LPChip

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ""pro 1.16" because there are always people who use their programmes for years without updating because they don't want to

and if for some reason (e.g. HDD crash) their version gets lost they won't have any possibility to get it back

there's always stubborn people, you know ;)

But i want your opinion. Not theirs...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Rakib

modplug is now much better, why look to much back to what we had. Better to dream of what can come in the future
^^

speed-goddamn-focus

Can't  we put a compiled 1.16 on Sourceforge as well?

Trustmaster

As for me I'm using 1.17 RC2, but I've seen a lot of modders who were unsatisfied with its unstability/bugs (mostly connected with VST) and returned to 1.16 or Impulse (i.e. returned to sample-based tracking, strange but true). I think that the idea of putting compiled MPT 1.16 on SourceForge file respository and making it available for download any time is the best choice.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Trustmaster"I've seen a lot of modders who were unsatisfied with its unstability/bugs

If you see them again tell them to report the bugs instead. ;)

hematurge

Just focus on gettin the current version in good working order. I love VSTI's and although it does run them they still have problems. If you add a vst effect to vsti channel it seems to have no effect, and the same with the channel volume.
At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols. - Aldous Huxley

Snu

Quote from: "hematurge"If you add a vst effect to vsti channel it seems to have no effect, and the same with the channel volume.
not sure what you mean by a 'vsti channel', but you can chain a vst effect to a vsti (just like you would one effect to another, using the 'output to' drop down box), and it will apply that effect to the vsti's output.
as for the channel volume, well it can be handled by using zxx macros (plugin wet/dry ratio controls the vsti volume since there is no 'dry' signal). also, individual note volumes work for vsti's that support this, and the global volume is applied to vsti's as well.

as for the actual topic, i occasionally use the old version to compare for a bug, but i dont ever use it for tracking anymore.  still, i think its a good idea to at least have a download link somewhere...

hematurge

Quote from: "Snu"not sure what you mean by a 'vsti channel'

i should have been more clear on what i meant. i mean a channel that has the vsti audio tracked in it. i.e. the channel where the melody (produced by a softsynth for instance) notes are tracked. also im gonna try what you said, i may have overlooked it (probly).

EDIT: yeah i overlooked the "output to" area. now all is good. i can work around the channel volume issue with macros and othe plugins thanks Snu.
At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols. - Aldous Huxley

rewbs

Quote from: "hematurge"
Quote from: "Snu"not sure what you mean by a 'vsti channel'

i should have been more clear on what i meant. i mean a channel that has the vsti audio tracked in it. i.e. the channel where the melody (produced by a softsynth for instance) notes are tracked. also im gonna try what you said, i may have overlooked it (probly).

Snu's suggestions are the way to go. The problem with applying channel plugins to VSTis is the following: what do we do if you play your VSTi simultaneously on a channel with a VST effect and a channel without a VST effect? We cannot split the output of the VSTi, since we recieve the output as a single "rendered" stream... so we cannot forward "some notes" to the effect and "some notes" to the master output.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

hmm... isn't there a way to simply set pattern-effects to a higher priority than the VST(i) so that they become s.th. like "channel master effect"?

Quotewhat do we do if you play your VSTi simultaneously on a channel with a VST effect and a channel without a VST effect

isn't that impossible? i mean if you want to put a VST effect on a VSTi you've got to assign the effect to that VSTi in the effect-settings

so people simply got to use the same instrument on different effect slots...
...btw: many VSTi don't support multiple voices at the same time

or did i get s.th. wrong?

P.S.: i'd still love an "assign effect #X to instrument/channel" "unassign effect #X to instrument/channel" command  :D

rewbs

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"hmm... isn't there a way to simply set pattern-effects to a higher priority than the VST(i) so that they become s.th. like "channel master effect"?
Same problem remains.. what do you do if you apply say a vibrato effect on one channel, whilst the VSTi is playing on that channel and another channel with no vibrato effect? You can't simply manipulate the audio stream as you do with samples. So a kind of solution is to convert pattern effects to their midi equivalent (if possible), which I have already done with pitch bends (so IT effects Exx and Fxx send pitch bend MIDI commands if applied on VSTis). Others will follow.

Quotewhat do we do if you play your VSTi simultaneously on a channel with a VST effect and a channel without a VST effect

isn't that impossible? i mean if you want to put a VST effect on a VSTi you've got to assign the effect to that VSTi in the effect-settings

so people simply got to use the same instrument on different effect slots...
Yes, exactly. That was precisely my point. :D

Quote...btw: many VSTi don't support multiple voices at the same time
Indeed. My example is concerned with polyphonic VSTs.

QuoteP.S.: i'd still love an "assign effect #X to instrument/channel" "unassign effect #X to instrument/channel" command
Dynamic stream rerouting is a nice idea, so long as you are aware (and I think you are) of the limitations imposed by the fact that we can't send multiple simultaneous notes played on the same VSTi instance to separate effect plugins, unless the VSTi is specifically designed to have multiple outputs.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "rewbs"So a kind of solution is to convert pattern effects to their midi equivalent (if possible), which I have already done with pitch bends (so IT effects Exx and Fxx send pitch bend MIDI commands if applied on VSTis). Others will follow.
YOU'RE MY HERO!!!

please become the father of my children!

QuoteDynamic stream rerouting is a nice idea, so long as you are aware (and I think you are) of the limitations imposed by the fact that we can't send multiple simultaneous notes played on the same VSTi instance to separate effect plugins, unless the VSTi is specifically designed to have multiple outputs.

wouldn't bother me when implemented
:D