[Ambient Groove] Tea in a Martian Cafe (mp3)

Started by tvdude, December 05, 2007, 14:38:44

Previous topic - Next topic

tvdude

Hi everyone.  Here is a new tune from me.  It features some familiar default windows sound fonts (edit: NOT modplug sounds...duhhh me), and I hope you enjoy it.  Comments are always welcome.  Here is the link:

http://213.129.73.14/members/my_tracks/audio/DT_ACF32899804115.mp3
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

Nice build up. It appears to be a special brand of tea after a while.. :)

bvanoudtshoorn

I like it! I think I recognise your bass drum sample; is that one of the "familiar modplug sounds"?

tvdude

Hi bvanoudtshoorn!

The bass drum sample is actually from www.breakbeat-paradise.com but where they got it from I don't know, maybe they got it from modplug...lol.  At any rate, it was not one of the samples that came from the default modplug instruments.  Good guess though.  Any other guesses?

Sam Zen, it is indeed a very special brand of tea. :wink:
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Harbinger

Weird, but somehow strangely attractive. The title fits the music, that's for sure!

bad2989

The closed hihat in the middle part sounds very familiar; but then again, how much different can a hihat sound?
Nice piece. Somehow it makes me think of a modern muppet show act.

Saga Musix

Quite an interesting tune, but the screams in the middle part are a bit weird... :)

Quote from: "bad2989"how much different can a hihat sound?
oh, really! every hi-hat sounds different! the hi-hat in the middle part is clearly a TR-909 hi-hat, this is a very popular drum machine.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

tvdude

lol...actually Jojo, those only sound like screams to a human.  It was, in fact, a very pleasant waitress asking if I wanted milk and sugar for my tea, and making some small talk. But you should have seen the look on all the martians faces in the cafe when I actually drank the tea in the same place I spoke out of!  They thought that was the grossest thing they'd ever seen.  It just goes to show that what is strange in one culture, is very normal in another.

Ok, who am I kidding? You're right, the screams are pretty weird.  Kinda creepy actually.  But it sure was a fun song to write! :D

btw..you are right about the hi hat.  It is a 909. :lol:
tvdude

bad2989

909, okay. That's what makes it familiar! But is it one of the "familiar modplug sounds" you were referring to earlier (I can't remember what instruments were in the initial download...)?

tvdude

No, I don't believe the 909 hi hat was in the modplug library.  I have a 909 sample library that I dowloaded after getting modplug.  The familiar sound samples I used from modplug are: a door creaking, a laser gun, a siren, a shaker, and you guessed, a scream.  All of which except for the shaker have some sort of vst effect on them.
tvdude

Saga Musix

i guess you mean the default windows sound font when referring to "modplug instruments" (which are not modplug instruments at all, remember, they are part of your MIDI setup!). But the default windows sound font is sooooo crappy, it does not even have a 909 drum kit!  :lol:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

tvdude

Quoteguess you mean the default windows sound font

Holy cow, you're right, I completely forgot about that, what was I thinking????lol....I should just stick to writing music and let it speak for me.  Thanks for the correction Jojo.  Sorry for misleading everyone.  An edit has been made to the initial post.
tvdude

bad2989

lol! I don't think I have ever even listened to the rest of the midi library after having heard the piano...

mrvegas

Nice tune -- is that the cafe overlooking the Valles Marineris or the one in the Syrtis basin?

I liked the drums and sound effects in this one -- they complemented the main melodic figure instead of dominating the song.  I hear more interesting stuff on this forum and on Modarchive these days than I can find on the radio or in CD stores.