Automatic VST Scanning

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 21, 2007, 04:45:10

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Would it be possible to have MPT automatically scan for VSTs in preset directories (recursively)? That way, if I get a bunch of VSTs at once, I don't have to go through and add each one individually.

I haven't come across any other system that requires you to add each one individually... I appreciate that most of them limit you to one directory of VSTs, but I think that that's just laziness - it really wouldn't be too hard to just scan a couple of directories.

Rakib

Yes, its sound nice. But if it this function ever will implemented I dont want the possibility to add 1 vst at a time to be removed, there if very often one or two vst that can make modplug unstable and requires me to restart MPT. (Yes, I do use mostly badly coded and freeware based vst's)
^^

Saga Musix

if you have several VSTs in one directory, that's no problem. just mark all VSTs, that works.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, I know... The reason I thought of this is that I recently migrated to a new computer, and had to reload all of the VSTs (all the other settings are just stored in files...) As I'd been building up my collection over quite some time, they were all in different folders. I think I like them that way, too, especially the commercial (or very big) ones. These often have a whole bunch of supporting files (like docs or what have you), so it makes sense to have them in their own folder.

Nahkranoth

Heh, and you know what it takes to remove dozens of plugins from MPT's list, when you deleted them? Man, this is difficult and boring and it seems there's no other way than to remove one by one:-) (Damn, I've wanted to make such a post myself a day ago!)

Nahkranoth

Even if no one's going to add such a feature as scanning folders for VSTs, there's still a possibility to make a small .exe which can scan and then add paths to the MPT's cache, which is in registry as I remember. It shouldn't be a hard task for an experienced coder. Or at least for someone who know how to interact with VSTs.

LPChip

Its not in the registry. Its in a database file for as far as I remember. I know this because after a windows reinstallation, the plugins were still remembered.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Nahkranoth

My mistake:-) soundbanks are in registry. And VST cache is really a file in MPT's folder. But its structure is fairly simple, so the only problem is to recognize a .dll for it can be an effect or an instrument (flags=0 or flags=1 in cachefile) ::)

residentgrey

Take the scanning code in the program, encapsulate it a bit, set it up to apply to all child directories in the plugins folder. Besides you can keep all the support doc in a separate file.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Saga Musix

Well, this is now finally there. Use the "Scan Folder" button in the plugin manager.
http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Wooh... a belated christmas present! :P Or wait... its soon christmas again... :P

Anyway, nice addition Saga Musix. :) Thanks.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

.^o

Diamond

Excellent, this addition is appreciated.  Thanks.