[Chip] Back and Forth (S3M)

Started by Reese, November 27, 2005, 10:52:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese

http://www.oocities.com/amna0482/BKNFORTH.zip

Tracked this yesterday. I guess I could say that this has some oldschool influences (listened to a lot of older chips before making this). Please, feel free to give this some constructive criticism or just some comments- both would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy :D

LPChip

Chip... Download!!! :)

The first thing I notice is the volume. Its on the low side. When checking the general tab, i notice the sample volume is on the low side. Why?

Melody is kinda sad, which is in conjunction with the rest of the song. This is too bad, cus it kinda spoils the fact that its a chip. Chip's are usually fast and catchy. The bass and the drums are, but the melody structure isn't.

The bass and drums don't seem to change that much which kind of gets annoying over the song. I also miss treble in your song. Everything is having a dark image. The bass is really nice and deep, but there's no high part that keeps this as high quality. Instead it degrades it to become a bit muddy. You might want to either replace some lead melody samples by a sharper/higher variant or just play an octave higher.

You could also counteract this by adding short appregio effects every 8th row or so.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Reese

Thanks for the tips, LPChip. I understood them all and I saw the track's faults with them. I'll try hard to take those tips into account when I'm tracking some more very soon. Thanks for taking the time to review. :D

apple-joe

Sounds nice. I immediately noticed the I - V movement of the bass. Then I wondered whether the mode of D Dorian or just the regular D minor scale was used. It seems like you avoided the 6th to a certain extent. However, throughout the piece I noticed both the presence of the B and the Bb? It seems like you combined the two possibillities.