v1.17.02.46 available

Started by rewbs, May 07, 2007, 14:11:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"the new OMPT wants to connect to soal.org
Got a warning by my firewall as well, and I wonder too. I was rather unpleasantly surprised by this.

rewbs

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Jojo"EDIT: Hm, okay, those old modules sound better with mix level set to RC2 - but now i have to reset mix level for EVERY SINGLE module i want to listen to...?!
Based on quick look it seems that mods not made with OMPT are set to use RC3 mode by default, with which mods tend to sound louder - sounds like a bug.

Bug confirmed, fixing..

rewbs

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"the new OMPT wants to connect to soal.org
Got a warning by my firewall as well, and I wonder too. I was rather unpleasantly surprised by this.

As stated by Jojo this is an update check and can be disabled by reading the release notes. :)

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

jap, i opened that thread in the bug report forum some time after stuffing around with the different sound outputs.

edit: didn't see that there is another page of replies - that was an anwser on the last post on the previous page.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I use my ole laptop with W98 for realtime playing modules, so I was very eager to update to .46, because of the new 'transition' options.
(BTW a nice achievement of the makers to create one compatible executable. Before that I always had to get both versions, generic and P3)
To be safe I placed .46 in a new dir, parallel to the previous version. When started, I got an error message saying that "winhttp.dll" was missing, did ok and then OMPT was shutdown. Quite disappointing.
Considering the filename I could imagine what the problem could be. The laptop is a stand-alone unit with no network drivers or such apps at all. I copied the DLL from my 2K machine, and placed it in the system32 dir of W98. Problem solved.

So then the comment came in mind of this thread about OMPT trying to connect to soal.org.
Rewbs explained the reason : "Check for updates on startup. To disable, set CheckForUpdates=0 in mptrack.ini.".
But there is no "CheckForUpdates" line in the ini-file of the previous generic version.
Anyway, suppose there is no previous version on such a non-network system. Running the executable is then impossible, because it get stuck with the update-check. And its first ini-file can't be generated after a proper closing, so nothing to edit.
So at least a warning about this would be a good thing.

This is reason for me to nag about this new internet-function inside the program. I don't like it and I don't need it.
It makes the program more dependent of external resources, as proved here, and the real MPT freak doesn't need an automatic function to check for the new version. This is maybe an imitation of the mainstream popular software which likes to please the lazy customer.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "rewbs"
 + <Relabsoluness> 32-bit float wav import
 . <Relabsoluness> 24/32-bit PCM wav sample import fixed

guys, what about 16bit mono 11,025khz?

it's still not possible to import those files

::)

and yeah, i will keep requesting this for another 3 years if necessary
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Snu

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"
Quote from: "rewbs"
 + <Relabsoluness> 32-bit float wav import
 . <Relabsoluness> 24/32-bit PCM wav sample import fixed

guys, what about 16bit mono 11,025khz?

11025KHZ? wow, that would be an insane quality file O_o
anyway tho, mpt imports 11khz 16bit mono file perfectly... at least 1.17.2.46 does...

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

mine doesn't... i think i posted more detailed format information somewhere in the past
searched for that but can't find it... probably due to data loss on some forum crash

Saga Musix

i never had problems with 11khz 16bit mono wav files - but I have a guess: Your WAV file is not RAW data but compressed - you have to change the format to RAW then ;) So basically a CODEC was used to save that file (you can even use mp3 in wav files ;) ) and modplug only can handle RAW data.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"guys, what about 16bit mono 11,025khz?

::)

and yeah, i will keep requesting this for another 3 years if necessary
If you wish to improve the changes that you don't have to wait 3 years, it indeed might be useful if you could specify the format of the file.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Jojo"i never had problems with 11khz 16bit mono wav files - but I have a guess: Your WAV file is not RAW data but compressed - you have to change the format to RAW then ;) So basically a CODEC was used to save that file (you can even use mp3 in wav files ;) ) and modplug only can handle RAW data.

well that might be.... when i open the files in wavelab for conversion it sais "decoded"

Saga Musix

okay, thanks for that information. indeed this means that modplug does not support this file. however, you can convert it using "save as..." in WaveLab.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Jojo"okay, thanks for that information. indeed this means that modplug does not support this file. however, you can convert it using "save as..." in WaveLab.

sure, but it's sort of bugging me

Saga Musix

That means modplug authors would have to include decoders / wrappers, and that's a hard job, i guess.