.43 Kontakt2 Woes - Bouncing to Wave

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 02, 2007, 06:12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.0.43

Description of the bug:
Well, I got Kontakt2 to finally run by wrapping it inside Xlutop.Chainer (which I've bought). Unfortunately, I have to multiple instances of Kontakt for each instrument, because Chainer seems to discard the midi channel info when it's passing the data to its plugins.

Anyway, enough background. When I try to bounce a track to wave which uses Kontakt, I get dropped samples! I've used the "Slow render" function, and all that happens is that I have dropped samples rendered more slowly! I've tried increasing the amount of memory that Direct-From-Disk uses for caching (you can't seem to turn it off in Kontakt2), but that doesn't help. Granted, I'm using about 2.5GB of samples (more than I have ram!), but that really shouldn't be happening.

I made a one-pattern track with just a piano (a couple of hundred megs - small enough to fit into ram), and the issue didn't come up when I bounced to wave.

Theory of causality: :)
I think that Kontakt automatically drops samples if the CPU usage reaches 100%. Perhaps if there was an option to limit CPU usage to some arbitrary amount when rendering, this issue could be resolved...

How often does it happen?:
Every time I try to bounce a track with lots of Kontakt. :)

How to reproduce (step by step description):
1. Write a track which uses lots of Kontakt2.
2. Try to bounce it to wave.

LPChip

I've noticed you aren't using the latest version of OpenMPT. Can you please see if the problem happens in that build too?

Its hard to fix an issue if it has been fixed in the meanwhile already. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

bvanoudshoorn,

I guess you're pretty known with using Kontakt by now... Can you tell us if you still have problems with this bug? Especially since you're now aware of its "function for cpu droppings"

Otherwise we can close this one.

EDIT: and by any chance, also look at this one?
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1786.0
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, the issue seems to be resolved in Kontakt 3... :P Sorry, I upgraded from K2 to K3, and completely forgot to do anything about this bug report. As far as I am aware, the issue still exists with K2, but given that all those who use Kontakt in these fora seem to be using K3, I don't think it's a really high-priority bug.

LPChip

I'm going to close this bug. I think its more a bug in Kontakt2 than in OpenMPT, since K3 doesn't have this issue.