[session] Surfduh (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, April 24, 2007, 03:51:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Another example of a realtime improvised session, where i'm playing OMPT on a laptop with W98, with two friends on el. guitar, one of them with vocals too.
The module provides the whole drum-patterns, saved in different situations, saved in the row, so this can be played in realtime playback by jumping in the pattern-row to or fro, etc.
Surfduh ver 2 - 8:47

cubaxd

hmm... i kinda like this tune.  8)
A friend of mine (well, actually his father :) ) once had a CD from a band called "Hawkwind". And this song reminds me of this.
Although this song is not so good in quality (compared to that band), it's quite enjoyable :)

Sam_Zen

I know Hawkwind. Has stayed quite obscure, but a very good band. So I consider it a compliment.

This is just a snapshot. It was the 2nd time we used it. Although it's improvised, we're working towards a structured form.
And so I still am busy finetuning the module every time, e.g. in the realtime pattern-order and switching of channels.
So, strictly speaking, it isn't a song, or maybe not yet. That's why I used the term 'session' instead of some style.

apple-joe

I'm gonna write a few impulsive sentences as I listen to the track now. It'll be my fifth listen or so.

Wild percussion in the beginning, contrasts the more relaxed melodic sounds which are panned to the left. Percussion was also panned to the left, but now it changed brutally to the right. Hints of a guitar solo in the background, its tonality is very mysterious and nice. The guitarist must like experimenting, well, it's a joy listening to. Also, there are some strange things going on panned to the right, there's at least a keyboard, but additional elements as well. Now the guitarist is really into it.

Okay, vocals return. I really can't associate this with anything. It's different. I enjoy the free spirit that this composition seems to be built of. Allright, I think I hear a few sequences which might remind me of Zappa. I've listened a bit to Zappa recently, so I should be able to relate (let's hope I'm not infected, in a way which makes everything I listen to sound like Zappa).

And then the show is over. Very enjoyable as usual, SamZen. I am actually inspired by your approach, it makes me want to experiment more also. Keep it up.

Sam_Zen

Thanks for your kind words.
QuoteWild percussion in the beginning
This is done before starting the module, by playing with its samples on the keyboard.
Quotepanned to the left, but now it changed brutally to the right
Brutally, because more channels with almost the same drumloop are added at the next pattern transition.
QuoteThe guitarist must like experimenting, well, it's a joy listening to
In fact there's almost no way to stop him experimenting all the time.
Quotethere's at least a keyboard, but additional elements as well
The keyboardtones are part of the drumloop-samples. The other elements are done by the vocalist with his guitar.
QuoteI really can't associate this with anything
Maybe one shouldn't even try, but just go for the experience in time.
QuoteI enjoy the free spirit that this composition seems to be built of
In these sessions we can play certain themes again, but they are not rehearsals of the song. If we would perform such a piece in public, we would just play another session of it.
QuoteI hear a few sequences which might remind me of Zappa
You have a point here. I just watched a 2 hr docu on local tv about the career of Zappa with lots of audio-fragments of course.
There are similarities in the actual outcome, but I saw that Zappa was writing every note down on paper, so the making is definitely different.
And talking about Zappa : Try Captain Beefheart.

mrvegas

You were obviously having a lot of fun making this.  It's always good having more than one person making music.  Thanks for another Sam Zen epic.  Quite entertaining.