Note duration and pitch change

Started by HeroOfSpielburg, April 23, 2007, 05:25:53

Previous topic - Next topic

HeroOfSpielburg

Hello,

I just started using OpenMPT a couple weeks ago, so please forgive my lack of knowledge.  I was wondering, is the best (only?) way to hold a sampled note for more than one fraction of a beat to use a looped sample and have it repeat until inserting a cutoff command?

What I want is to play the sample at middle C and then drag it out for say a beat and increase the pitch as the note both extends and fades away, like a bird call.  I figure to fade out the note I can use a volume command.  To do a pitch bend, which effect should I use (sorry that I'm not up on the terminology)?

Thanks for the help!

LPChip

To create a sample that has a longer duration than a beat, you can do 2 things.

1. Assuming that you made your sample, you can make/record it long enough to last long enough.

2. Most likelly the case, especially if you can't really modify the sample, you can indeed use the loop meganism to make it go on and on. If you don't know how to setup a loop, just set the loop points on the sample and set loop to either forward or pingpong. (you can make a selection then rightclick and select "set as loop" to make a loop, and then further tweak it with the numbers)

To volume slide while doing a pitch, you can do it in a variety of ways.

If the same thing happens all the time, you can set it directly on the instrument using the envelope editor.

You can also use the pattern effects to do it manually.

To make what you want to do: you'd need a Dx on the volume command and a Fxy on the effects command.

Dx on the volume command will slide the volume down where x is the speed

Fxy on the effects command will pitch up where x can be any number with addition that E = extra fine, F = fine and y is just an additional number. if x is not an E or F, the value of xy is being seen as a hexadecimal number.

An example would be:

C-4 01 v64 .00
--- .. ... .00
--- .. ... .00
--- .. ... .00
--- .. d01 F01
--- .. d00 F00
--- .. d00 F00
--- .. d00 F00
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

HeroOfSpielburg

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed.  :D

LPChip

Quote from: "HeroOfSpielburg"Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I needed.  :D

Np :) Glad I could help. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs