Very small patterns

Started by Saga Musix, April 11, 2007, 10:58:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

When you load tunes from other trackers (e.g. one of the modplug example tracks, "the oldschool girl" by haggeman), you see that there are patterns possible with less then 4 rows. But I couldn't find out how to produce small patterns like this in modplug... is it somehow possible? if no, why? :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anboi

as far as i know its not possible but you can use the jump command to skip playing the whole pattern so you can sort of simulate it. if it is possible through other means i'd like to know! (even though its not exactly very useful but i was making a 2-dimensional track using only one row of each pattern and had to resort to the pattern jump effect.) i only tried messing about with .it, not sure about modplugs size restrictions when using .xm or .mod

Saga Musix

well, it's not that i don't know the "jump to" effects :P i was just interested in it, coz it looks a bit funny how haggeman jumps around in his track using those small patterns...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

rncekel

Why not? There is a box, with something like "#1" in it (the number will be the pattern number) in the upper-left side (just above the numbers of the rows). Clic there, and you will get a menu asking the number of rows. Just write the number you want; any number greater than 1 works (that is, from 2 on).

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

afaik patterns with less than 4 rows are possible in, but not played by ompt

but it's been a while since i tried...

and if that's still the case i'd also like to have that fixed
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

rncekel

They are possible, and they are played. In fact, I have used many times patterns of a few rows, like 22, 15, 9 or so, and not only with the last version.

Saga Musix

I have some fast tracker 2 modules which have 1 row patterns, and they are played corectly. But I can't do them in ModPlug ^^ Oh, but now i noticed that 2 row patterns are possible in OpenMPT, in the original MPT, the low limit was 4 rows... But i'm missing 1 row patterns ^^

Really Weird Person

Fast Tracker probably cannot do large patterns though (1,024 + rows) or large quantities of patterns. At first, I liked the idea of large quantities of patterns (and still do), but I have found myself becoming frustrated with large numbers of patterns because I cannot copy more than one pattern at a time. I have thought about copying and pasting the patterns into another application (such as Excel) and recopying them into Modplug Tracker, but I do not think that would work quite right.