Autosave only for certain files

Started by Saga Musix, April 11, 2007, 21:03:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

'Evening...
an improved autosave feature would be very nice. something like this should be added to the dialog:

Only autosave Modules in the following directories: E:\MODs
[x] Include subdirectories

I can't stand it that modules which i just want to listen to also get autosaved...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

any opinions? this would be a nice task for pelya, wouldn't it? :lol:
if i knew C++ good enough, i'd do it myself... :|
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Well... As far as I know, a module that isn't being altered, (and therefor doesn't have a modification flag (*) set) shouldn't neither trigger an auto-save.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

hm, i have the behaviour to reverse samples, mute channels, chip samples, etc of modules which aren't mine (just to try out samples or to find out which channel produces which sound - yeah i am a nerd, but i know that :D) and some of them are rather large, and i don't want to have hundreds of megabytes of ununsed modules on my hd - i have set autosave to 1 minute coz modplug still crashes from time to time :|

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"hm, i have the behaviour to reverse samples, mute channels, chip samples, etc of modules which aren't mine (just to try out samples or to find out which channel produces which sound - yeah i am a nerd, but i know that :D) and some of them are rather large, and i don't want to have hundreds of megabytes of ununsed modules on my hd - i have set autosave to 1 minute coz modplug still crashes from time to time :|

Then I have the perfect solution (even if only temporary and the request is being executed)

Why not make a copy of your openMPT directory, so you have 2 OpenMPT's, and in one you enable auto-save, and in the other you disable auto-save.

This way, you can choose yourself easy if it must autosave or not. (you could also just enable/disable the option, but I figure this solution might be easier for you.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

that could work for some time, but it's not a good option, coz i sometimes copy samples from other modules into mine to try them out, and i would always have to stop the modules playing (what a work! :D) coz only one ASIO stream is allowed at one time... :)

Sam_Zen

As soon as something is auto, I first disable it, to see what's actually happening, not wanting to loose control.
Tools like that are potential troublemakers, So I prefer the brainsave method, where I decide to make a backup,
possibly renamed, during the process myself.

Saga Musix

well, if i'm really into making a track, i just forgot to save every minute... :D

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"well, if i'm really into making a track, i just forgot to save every minute... :D

So basically, we should do a bug-report about you? :P So they can fix you? :D

Okay, sorry if this joke is badly received...

Saga Musix

indeed, there are several bugs in Jojo 1.0 :P - for example, he's not writing perfect music :P

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"for example, he's not writing perfect music :P

Uh, I call that being human :nuts:

Snu

hmm, this would be a nice feature, i change the volume of tracks when i listen to them, and it sets the save flag...

maybe instead of time based, it could autosave after a set number of edits?  wouldnt really fix jojo's problem tho.
maybe a flag in the mptm format that is 'activate autosave', and an option to only save modules with that set?

well, im just throwing some ideas out there, what do you guys think?
the last option is actually probably my favorite...

bvanoudtshoorn

I dunno... I kinda like the idea of only autosaving files stored in a particular directory. The trouble with a flag is this: say you write a track which is so absolutely mind-bogglingly terrific that you have to show everyone just how you did it, so you send it to all your mates. Now, you've got this "autosave" flag set, so when they open it up, they end up with backup copies when they fiddle around with it.

What about a differential autosave? So the first autosave contains all the data, the second one only the changes, and so on. This way will give the devs a bit of a headache, though, because when the first autosave is replaced by the second one, a whole heap of data has to be transferred. And it implies that you can guarantee data integrity across the autosaved versions...

Another idea - what about autosaving in something like the itp format? That is, don't actually save the samples. That way, the autosave will be a lot smaller. I can't think of many situations when you would need to open an autosaved file away from the computer you wrote it on... As far as I know, it's more of a backup thing for when you're busy with a piece or whatever. Of course, you'd have to be able to reload the samples correctly when you load the autosave. =)

LPChip

The best way is to use an .ITP as begin file.

If it autosaves, it will only auto save the patterns and not the samples.

Downside is that you can't really move an .ITP file unless you convert it to .IT first (or render to wav/mp3)

Saga Musix

i think that this is rather pointless if you are going to modify your samples... these wouldn't be changed in the autosave file...