Clip indicator.

Started by KrazyKatz, March 29, 2007, 14:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

sorry, but just adding a FFT VST for a rather essential feature is not a good solution imo.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

psishock

For FFT i meant what i've used on my cases, i mostly like to monitor as much as i can. I'm sure that there are many simple VU meter VSTs with clip indicators, or any similar ones with less or more features. Finding one that suit your problem shouldn't be much trouble.
Why am i suggesting so recklessly the VSTs on this case?
- mostly the VSTs are already made and working perfectly. (no need to mess with new code/debug and stuff)
- they are most likely more flexible because of the plugin system and tweakable than a hardcoded gui extension in "general tab" example.
- VSTs are "allways on top", you can be on general, instrument, pattern, or any other desired tab, and still will able to monitor/tweak it.
- VST gui can be moved anywhere the user wants it.
- from a number of VSTs, people can more easy locate the one that suits them best (features and functionality example)

(please don't feel that i'm disregarding your idea, i'm just telling my thought and ideas about it, and (as always) trying to help with the best solution for the problem)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

I'm not disregarding anything. The existence of plugins with an application is a very efficient situation.
This is valid for tools with effects, making sounds, but also for monitoring things, if needed.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "psishock"For FFT i meant what i've used on my cases, i mostly like to monitor as much as i can. I'm sure that there are many simple VU meter VSTs with clip indicators, or any similar ones with less or more features.
this is not my point. my point is that something tiny but also essential should be built into mpt. i don't want to rely on VSTs which i have to download first and load into MPT everytime i start a module just to see if there's room for more volume or not.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I agree - a clip indicator should be standard. And it should either be on the Patterns tab or in the toolbar. Perhaps we could have a small, sideways VU and clip indicator on the toolbar? That'd be nice and unobtrusive.

psishock

I can totally undestand your point Jojo. It most definetely won't hurt to have one, especially for those who don't wana get involved with plugins.

Quotei don't want to rely on VSTs which i have to download first and load into MPT everytime i start a module just to see if there's room for more volume or not.
When you start a new module, you also load your samples/instruments first, or VSTis, and you search for new ones, from time to time, on the internet or any other source.
Setting up and customising your "virtual studio" (wich normally should take a few seconds to a minute max) when you start composing should not be a burden for anybody imo, nor gathering the most comfortable tools for work.

I've grown to like VST plugin idea more than the embed OMPT extensions (for several reasons), so to me, it won't mean much difference, propably will leave that unused too.
Also, i wana have my working space clean as possible, having tools, skins all the times in front of my eyes that i don't or won't need will not please me. =) Now, i'm not saying that this practicular VU meter and clipping indicator feature would make me discomfortable, but more similar gui extensions that i won't necessarily use, most likely will.
I've mainly choosed OMPT because it has the most cleaner and faster working arrea (pattern tab to be specific, it's perfect to work with, it's also very flexible), got a VST support and i could customise my keyboard keys for the most fastest and comfortable work.
I like it this way, when it's like Firefox, got a minimal gui with nice customisation system, and there are tousands of powefull plugins for any additional personal needs, that you can handpick. (i use Opera, but thats really another subject :wink: )

Saga Musix

QuoteWhen you start a new module, you also load your samples/instruments first, or VSTis, and you search for new ones, from time to time, on the internet or any other source. [...]
well, we had a talk about "template modules" here already... That may come in handy as well.

psishock

"template modules"? means that i don't have to set up the general song or pattern properties, load my custom VST(i)s when i dont feel like to, and similar?
-nods- that would be really handy indeed.

Saga Musix

phanoo

I can now submit modifications to modplug's development files, so I will maybe try to add the peak function...
For the moment I don't understand all the source code, so I will see if I can do that

Saga Musix

#define CLIP_SOUND(v) v = v < -1.0f ? -1.0f : v > 1.0f ? 1.0f : v
i found this macro in the sourcecode (ctrl_smp.cpp). is that the key to the clip indicator...? :lol:

LPChip

I would say so. The equasion either gives a -1 or a 1. But then again, maybe its to round sound when you amplify it.

EDIT: now I'm sure. This isn't the clip indicator. Its to make sure that the value stays between -1 and 1 volts.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

WHAT? :nuts:

QuoteThe equasion either gives a -1 or a 1
wrong. it's a ternary "if" statement.
- IF v < -1 THEN set it to -1
- IF v > +1 THEN set it to +1
That's because the sounds is handled as float values which may not exceed the range from -1 to +1.

QuoteIts to make sure that the value stays between -1 and 1 volts.
what the hell are you talking about? :nuts: volts in mpt? :P

LPChip

Since audio programming works with Volts, I suspect the audio flow, designated with a v is ment for Volts.

My EDIT actually was referring to the fact that I was correcting myself, so the first part is indeed wrong, but I mentioned that myself.

What I say that the function does is checking if its outside of the boundaries -1 to 1. If so, it sets the boundary, if not, it sets v.

If it would be a clip indicator switch as you're asking, it wouldn't need -1 to 1 range, but only a simple boolean.

So then what would it be usefull for? If you, in the sample editor have a waveform and you would say... amplify it by 1000% you will be ensured of clipping. It will first do the amplification, but then cut off everything thats outside the -1 to 1 range.

Happy?

Oh and: Don't do Drugs. Drugs'r bad.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs