using SF2 files

Started by phanoo, December 30, 2006, 14:13:21

Previous topic - Next topic

phanoo

the support for SF2 files in OpenMPT sucks, 99% of the loaded soudfonts have missing samples, loop problems, strange sample map, volume at 4 instead 64, or dont' work at all !
i think it's a PRIORITY to make the sf2 file support better !
what do you think ?

LPChip

The support for SF2 files indeed is poor, as one of the first SF2 standards has been implemented. The fileformat itself has changed dramatically after that implementation. Now you have multilayered samples. It are these layers that causes OpenMPT to play them badly.

If you want to use SF2 files now, I strongly suggest to download sfz, which is a VSTi capable of playing those SF2 files.

Another method you could explore but probably will cost you some money, is converting the .SF2 to several .ITI's so you can load them directly in OpenMPT.

I'll leave it to the developers to decide wether or not to accept this request. Note that even if they accept this request, it could take some time before it is going to be implemented.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

this has been in the feature requests for quite some time, but for mpt to properly support .sf2 or .sfz files, it would require a new file format that supports multi-layered samples...
and the new file format is unfortunately not doing too well.

pelya

That will be super-nice to play correct note in treeview with SF2/DLS files, not just the default one.
Or have an utility to automatically convert SF2 instrument to ITI and load it when you play some note in treeview  :) .
And to read desired sound directly from user's brain, search and download from internet SF2 file with corresponding instrument and auto-convert it to ITI. Oh, that should be made as separate feature request  :D