Midi Controller

Started by Asharin, March 26, 2007, 11:04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Asharin

I'm toying with the idea of getting a midi controller keyboard, can I actually use this in MPT, as in laying down the notes and such?
I did do a search but the results weren't really conclusive :)
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

LPChip

Quote from: "Asharin"I'm toying with the idea of getting a midi controller keyboard, can I actually use this in MPT, as in laying down the notes and such?
I did do a search but the results weren't really conclusive :)

Yes. You can use an external midi device that can send midi information (like an external keyboard, program that sends midi data to your midi input etc)

Modplug will interpret these signals and allows you to both play an instrument and enter notes in the pattern editor. You should see the external keyboard as if you use your pc keyboard. The difference is additional support for velocity if the external keyboard supports it and all notes available so you don't have to switch octaves.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Asharin

Nice, thanks for the reply. I'll be gettin' meself one of those then. Any reccomendations or are they all much of a muchness?

LPChip

It really depends on your goal.

You could go for a keyboard that just sends out midi data without speakers and presets and such, which would make the device relative cheap.

you could also go for a nice keyboard that was ment to be a performance keyboard, with additional, support for midi. Then you have more fun with it, as you can play on it without it being connected to the computer at all.

Those ones are in a big variety available with each their own set of flavors and ofcours, each has their own price tag.

And ofcource, there's also the ability to buy a digital piano with midi out capabilities, which basically will behave like a piano, as for weighted keys and amound of keys.

What do you really want to do with it?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

I have an E-mu Xboard 61...although it's pricey ($250) the range of control (16 Knobs, 2 Wheels [Pitch and Mod], and Aftertouch) it provides is perfect for me. If you really want to seriously make music, you should go for a MIDI controller.

Most cost $100 up...and it usually increases with more keys and knobs. You don't really need knobs in MPT unless you plan on using a lot of VSTi sHammer-action starts at about $300. Most 49-keys are $200, 37 at $150, etc. USB connectivity is a common feature nowadays and most newer, upper-end controllers have it, so you don't have to mess around with annoying MIDI-to-computer interfaces.

Hope this helps,
SC
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Asharin

Quote from: "LPChip"It really depends on your goal.

You could go for a keyboard that just sends out midi data without speakers and presets and such, which would make the device relative cheap.

you could also go for a nice keyboard that was ment to be a performance keyboard, with additional, support for midi. Then you have more fun with it, as you can play on it without it being connected to the computer at all.

Those ones are in a big variety available with each their own set of flavors and ofcours, each has their own price tag.

And ofcource, there's also the ability to buy a digital piano with midi out capabilities, which basically will behave like a piano, as for weighted keys and amound of keys.

What do you really want to do with it?
Well it was mainly so I'd not have to keep switching octaves etc when entering data into the pattern editor in modplug..
However, I did used to play the piano (along with double bass!) when I was at school, so maybe I'll get one that can act as a standalone too, that way I can maybe get back into piano/keyboards etc.
Might be worth me just getting a cheap one to start with, after all it's been around 16 years since I touched a keyboard of any kind beyond a PC one :D

LPChip

Oh, but playing keyboard is not something you'll forget how to do it. It'll come back to you quite quickly. (although I have to admit, 16 years is a bit longer than my half year of not playing :p )

I do think that you'll regret it when you go for a simple keyboard.

Your best bet would be to visit a music store several times and try out different ones. It'll give you back the feeling and allows you to carefully considder which one to buy.