Windows Vista: The Review.

Started by SoundCrafter, March 23, 2007, 23:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

residentgrey

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"@Residentgrey: A link? More info? Anything?
Twas a lil joke silly. OI!
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

LPChip

True, there's no check to boost +20 db like you had. Instead you have a slider you can push over 0 db to give this boost.

Although, I still believe that I've seen a +20 db boost somewhere, but I bet that was in the console itself... I'll do some more searching when I'm home...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "residentgrey"
Quote from: "SoundCrafter"@Residentgrey: A link? More info? Anything?
Twas a lil joke silly. OI!
Damn it! I'm going to stop believing people on this forum. Oh yeah, LP, check your PMs in a couple minutes.

Oh, my, God, the nightmare continues: Feeling lazy last night, I engaged in chat with a Gateway support technician about my STOP error. Apparently, he was feeling equally lazy, and just gave me a link (without listening to my problem in detail). The link told me to do what every bloody freaking OEM told me to do: Reinstall Windows.

(MOTHER-EFF!)

So obviously I was NOT about to go over a week's worth of initialisation bull with Vista + my sequencer + my legacy hardware. So I scrapped that idea...and called him an idiot after he logged off :mad:

OMG, we got a new printer, which was SUPPOSED to be Vista compatible, but, what's this? I have to download a 163-meg installer from HP's website to make it work? F this S.

In review, I'm still getting BSODs (More frequently now...), my Latency's at 55ms, and I want to punch someone.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Asharin

Quote from: "LPChip"True, there's no check to boost +20 db like you had. Instead you have a slider you can push over 0 db to give this boost.

Although, I still believe that I've seen a +20 db boost somewhere, but I bet that was in the console itself... I'll do some more searching when I'm home...
Yeah probably in the console...Just need Creative to make one that works in vista :/
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Asharin

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"@Asharin: Yes, I am running Creative Audio Console on Home Premium. If you install the Vista drivers from the Creative website, it should be bundled.
Interesting, I did install those drivers, but no CAC here, maybe I'll download them again tomorrow when I finish this night shift and see if it shows up then.

LPChip

Okay, I indeed cannot find the mic-boost thingy in the creative software.

Oh btw. The Audio Console is located in your config panel.

But I did found a mic +20db boost option :)

In order to get this, go to your classic windows volume mixer. The one with more than 1 slider. If you have the speaker icon from windows in your systemtray, double click it, otherwise use multimedia devices from the control panel, and select volume at playback.

Go to the menu Options and check advanced settings.

Again, go to the menu Options, and select properties. In that window, make sure the X-Fi is selected from the combo box, and then select the record option button. Make sure your mike/line-in entrances are all checked (I have 3 of them, but 2 are on my console, of which one is only line-in) and click ok. (If you're not sure, just check all)

I get a Microphone option with a button below saying Advanced. Pressing it gives me the option to add a +20 db boost. Its checked as default though, so make sure that if you still have a low volume, that you have the mike plugged in the right hole.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Asharin

Umm I'm using Vista home premium, double clicking the speaker icon does the same thing as a single click. if I right click and select properties I then get the option to ope the mixer (which has no options menu) or the playback or recording settings (which again, have no mic boost (aka 20db boost) in the advanced settings. There is no way whatsoever to enable the 'classic' windows volume mixer.

Really Weird Person

I have been running the first release candidate of Vista for over a month now (highly confident guess). I personally like the operating system. I do particularly not like the almost constent needing of administrative permissions though. Other than that, Windows Vista is great. I especially like its new Aero color scheme. When I want to see one of my windows without activating it, I just press Control + Windows key + Tab to activate the Flip-3D. There are other things that I have experienced that I do not really care for, but I am going to guess that those things (as well as the administrative permission thing possibly) are part of the Release Candidate. I also have the second beta (technical refresh) (whatever that means) of Office 2007. It has expired though. That kind of nerves me a little bit because that puts the idea in my mind that Windows, though it is a release candidate, not a beta, may have an expiration date as well. If that is the case, then I am not sure what I will do with my computer once that date approaches. I do have Windows XP and DOS on it, but my data is on the Vista operating system, not the other two (especially DOS).

LPChip

Those things were not removed after the official release. In fact its what they claim to make the OS safer :(

Really Weird Person

That makes sense. If the user does not have administrative permissions to do something, or just does not want to do something that he/she accidentally did, then that will allow the user to cancel that action.

SoundCrafter

hahaha...yeah. I'd just love to see that actually be used for security...Until something ACTUALLY tries to do something that requires user permissions...well, it's just an annoyance.
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Its not even that secure.

When I installed, the first 10 times that I had to do something that popup was really annoying. After that I kind of automatically clicked it away, which will make me do the same when it doesn't come from an action I do.

SoundCrafter

Brilliant...why can't someone determine whether an action was started by user input or a remote process? If someone could do that, we wouldn't need annoying popup interfaces or the like.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Brilliant...why can't someone determine whether an action was started by user input or a remote process? If someone could do that, we wouldn't need annoying popup interfaces or the like.

Because a user could unawarelly trigger such event :( Its a pointless discussion IMHO, cus there's no easy fix.

Saga Musix

and coz it's windoze :D
omg, i'm glad that i don't even have a beta of this vista...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.