Windows Vista: The Review.

Started by SoundCrafter, March 23, 2007, 23:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

XP is more secure than 2000, if you depend on factory-settings maybe. It took some time, I have to admit, but I've tweaked 2K now
in a very secure condition, without needing any patches anymore.
I've read about the same vista problems with lexmark printers on other forums..
Slowing down internet-connections very often have to do with virus-scanners, automatically set up to scan everything that's passing by, even if it's totally useless.

Asharin

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"XP is more secure than 2000, if you depend on factory-settings maybe. It took some time, I have to admit, but I've tweaked 2K now
in a very secure condition, without needing any patches anymore.
I agree this is perfectly possible.  I may use Vista as my main OS, but I have a spare pc that runs win2k that runs my email and web server (not IIS though! I use apache win32)
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

LPChip

Well, don't get me wrong... At first I was entirelly optimistic about Vista, but I kept another XP installation next to it so I could switch back and compare etc... It made me realise that Vista had lots of drawbacks, and that I was more happy to use XP than I was to use Vista.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

See, LP, I thought the same thing, but I wasn't as cautious as you were and went ahead and had a whole new computer built on the damn thing.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"See, LP, I thought the same thing, but I wasn't as cautious as you were and went ahead and had a whole new computer built on the damn thing.

Well, sometimes you have to learn things the hard way... Its just a phase of life...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Yup...and now the nail in the coffin for my Vista experience:

Gateway and Microsoft have stopped providing XP. Therefore, I have to switch BACK to XP on my own...which, oh what, voids my warranty...Wonderful.

I'll probably end up switching back to XP on my own...I don't need a warranty and all of my tech support is done by phone so how are they gonna know?

However, if I decide to stick with Vista, which I also may, a salesman at Gateway has offered to credit me the cost of a new printer (!).

So yeah...
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Easy choise if you ask me... First get that new printer, then switch back to XP :nuts:

Asharin

Now I have a new sound card ( creative Xi-Fi..shoot me now) the volume problem I had is gone. Now creative just need to get off their asses and release some drivers that work properly :P I'd like my mic to not be so damn quiet :P

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "LPChip"Easy choise if you ask me... First get that new printer, then switch back to XP :nuts:

Great minds think alike: I had the exact same idea!  :P

@Asharin...I'm pretty sure there's a preamp setting...somewhere. And X-Fi's are relatively nice without Vista. What type of X-Fi did you get?

Asharin

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
Quote from: "LPChip"Easy choise if you ask me... First get that new printer, then switch back to XP :nuts:

Great minds think alike: I had the exact same idea!  :P

@Asharin...I'm pretty sure there's a preamp setting...somewhere. And X-Fi's are relatively nice without Vista. What type of X-Fi did you get?
XiFi xtreme music, and uh, no there's no pre amp setting..wheras oddly, my onboard sound card DID have a preamp setting :/

LPChip

Quote from: "Asharin"I'd like my mic to not be so damn quiet :P

There are preamp settings. Make sure you don't put it on the line-in, but on the mic setting. Also, if you have a console (I dunno if the extreme music has a console, but my elite-pro does :D) If you have it, and you hook your mike up to that (same applies to the 5,25" drive), make sure that you turn the knob next to the input. By default, its set to line-in. Turning it would put the amp on.

In the mixer, (considdering that you have the audio-creation modus mixer)

If so, then you have the big mixer screen on the left. Make sure that you have all speakers selected to get an optimal sound result.

Secondly, at the right, where the record button is, there's a slider too. Its the record volume, so move it all the way to the right if thats not the case.

Asharin

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Asharin"I'd like my mic to not be so damn quiet :P

There are preamp settings. Make sure you don't put it on the line-in, but on the mic setting. Also, if you have a console (I dunno if the extreme music has a console, but my elite-pro does :D) If you have it, and you hook your mike up to that (same applies to the 5,25" drive), make sure that you turn the knob next to the input. By default, its set to line-in. Turning it would put the amp on.

In the mixer, (considdering that you have the audio-creation modus mixer)

If so, then you have the big mixer screen on the left. Make sure that you have all speakers selected to get an optimal sound result.

Secondly, at the right, where the record button is, there's a slider too. Its the record volume, so move it all the way to the right if thats not the case.
No seriously, there is no pre-amp setting for the mic when using the Xi-fi drivers. The mic is in the correct socket, there is just no pre-Amp option anywhere.
When I used the onboard sound I had a '20db Boost' option...'tis not there now.   This is the default windows stuff etc. Because the creative software doesn't even run under vista :P Though they have at least got the drivers sort of working..

SoundCrafter

There's not LP...I checked. Asharin are you using AudioHQ or Creative Audio Console?

Asharin

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"There's not LP...I checked. Asharin are you using AudioHQ or Creative Audio Console?
Neither they won't run in Vista..I did find some edited versions that apparently work, but being from a non official channel I don't really wanna try them, god knows what else they install :D
I'll just hold on for some updated vista drivers/software

SoundCrafter

@Asharin: Yes, I am running Creative Audio Console on Home Premium. If you install the Vista drivers from the Creative website, it should be bundled.