Windows Vista: The Review.

Started by SoundCrafter, March 23, 2007, 23:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

SoundCrafter

Well for those of you who didn't know, my old POS Dell computer died on me 3 weeks ago. At that time, my parents lovingly ordered a $1600 Gateway (Who is MUCH better than Dell) which took 3 weeks to recieve do to hardware problems, which I later found out was related to Vista.

This PC came preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium...In addition,  it has 1 gb of RAM, a Core2Duo running at 2.14 each core, and a SoundBlaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer. (Not the best choice, but the best available, sadly.)

Let me start by saying this: Windows Vista is NOT the nightmare people say it is. It looks nice, functions (relatively) well, and is MUCH more secure and user-friendly than XP. However, I did have a few problems:

-My printer wasn't and still isn't supported...Thanks Lexmark.

-My broadband card (A mobile broadband card is the only broadband available to me because I live in out in the country) was supported, but Sprint's software was not...so a workaround was required.

-Long boot and shutdown times

-Despite having an X-Fi, I can't drop my audio latency to anything lower than 55ms. Which is BALLS, because my SoundBlaster PCI on my old PC, a
$30 card, could hit 48ms consistently. This holds true after disabling many visual effects and giving my audio applications (Mainly Reason) High process priority
[/list]

That's all I can think of right now...Vista's alright but if you want an audio PC, STICK WITH XP.

That's all for now, yall.

Peace,
-SC
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

I actually disagree on that.

I've tested out Vista myself.

My first reaction was actually the same, but the more I worked with it, the more I began to hate it. All these security messages just drives me crazy.

Sure, you can disable them, but then you'll have to disable the entire security panel, which makes it too unsafe etc...

Next important issue are the driver compatibility options.

Especially for the X-Fi soundcard, this is an issue. True, you have drivers available for Vista, but they're beta and do not offer the software like Audio HQ which allows you to setup stuff like the low latency etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Well like I said...I wish I could afford an audio PC...with a REAL pro audio soundcard, more firewire, no internet, XP, etc...But this is also a family computer (Unfortunately)

I haven't experienced trouble with the security messages myself...except that everytime I download then subsequently open a zip file via the IE window, I get the message that "Internet is trying to access a program on your computer" or some bull like that...I'm trying to see if there's a way around it...But most of my progs are trusted, so 'sall good there...

I still might switch back to XP...unfortunately Windows is retarded and it's difficult to install an older version of windows when a newer one is in place, particularly without formatting...and I'm NOT about to go through a day's worth of initialization bullshit again.

I wasn't even aware of software for the X-Fi...it was preinstalled and as such I didn't get a software bundle or anything...damn OEMs...
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

If you would have AudioHQ, you'd have this one too:

Although the Fatality one has also the Entertainment mode and Audio Creation mode (which is also in my edition: the Elite-Pro) I'm not sure if its in the Extreme Gamer's edition. They have their own mixer panel with their own options.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Dayum! Dat look niiiice!

I'm going to assume the Audio Creation mode optimizes settings for lowest latency, correct?

I'm checking for AudioHD now...With any luck I can pick it up somewhere  :?

SoundCrafter

GOOD NEWS! I downloaded Vista drivers for the card and the Creative Audio Console came with it. It appears to be a stripped down version of AudioHQ, but guess what? There's an Audio Creation mode! YAY!

BAD NEWS: Damn it, Vista is causing an occasional IRQL_DRIVER_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL Stop error...

LPChip

Ah, they finally made the drivers...

You can try reinstalling the drivers to see if it fixes those BSoD's.

residentgrey

there is also my fave BSOD fixxer: eSledge 4.0 :)

best out there, cross-platform, great a/v support and everything! IT"S VISTA READY!!!
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

KrazyKatz

QuoteBAD NEWS: Damn it, Vista is causing an occasional IRQL_DRIVER_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL Stop error...

I recently had the same error on XP. I wasnt entirely sure what brought it about, but I'll mention what happened all the same.

In an attempt to get more Audio IN ports I installed two of the same soundcard (M-audio 2496) ( one model was older though ).

Cubase didnt recognize the extra ports, So I removed one of them.

Then Problems started happening. I also think I may have accidentally downloaded a similar but wrong for it because I could control certain features in the soundcard menu, but I couldn't control the volume. I switched ports on the soundcard and things went smoothly... not for long though... Still the annoying crash.

Ended up formatting.. got the definite right driver..Now all is Okay.

I reckon the driver is the problem, since youve probably not been changing ports and stuff with your soundcard.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Asharin

My only gripe with vista so far is that fact that it screws around with the volume settings etc.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

SoundCrafter

@Everyone: The BSODs occured once before I put in the Vista drivers, and once after. I don't think the X-Fi is the problem. Gateway lovingly mentioned that one of their damn chipsets, which I'm lucky enough to have ( :? ) has "problems" with Vista. Oh joy.
Oh yeah, and I installed the Creative Audio Console and put it in Audio Creation Mode, but I STILL can't drop my latency to below 55ms. I blame Vista for this entirely, because I'm running Dual-Cores and 1gb of RAM.

@Residentgrey: A link? More info? Anything?
@Asharin: How so?

Asharin

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"
@Asharin: How so?
Just the fact that everything is so much 'louder' if for example I save a track as mp3 or wav (with global volume at the default) the volume is so loud the mp3/wav will be distorted. I have to set the global volume to something like 32 to prevent this. Though perhaps this could be due to using the default ms drivers for my onboard sound card. It's not big deal if this is the case, I have a new card on order :)
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

nickythenose

I am not yet in the market and heck I havent even upgraded to XP yet, still running 2000 pro.

Will stay that way for safety.......

Sam_Zen

Nice. I've decided to stay that way too. Since the introduction of XP and now Vista, I've seen a sharp increase of problems with these OS's, on lots of software-forums. Mainly because the dreadful registry got involved, even with apps that were reg-free before that.
Plus nagging security, permissions, etc.

SoundCrafter

@Asharin: I've had this problem before...but in reverse...I.e., my mixes have been too soft...This usually is the result of a bad mix...not to doubt you at all  :wink:  of course! I could be wrong, though.

@Nicky and Sam: XP is more secure than 2000, and hardly as buggy as you describe, thanks to SP2.

Speaking of XP...I'm switching back to XP...I'm sending the computer back to Dell over spring break...don't know why they can't just take the hard drive...but XP is better.

More Vista evilness: My printer is incompatible (Cuz lexmark won't get off their asses.), and it's SOMEHOW slowing down my internet connection. Screw Deus ex Machina...it's more like Devil ex Machina.  :P