[DECLINED] Playlist support in OpenMPT

Started by LPChip, July 22, 2007, 15:11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Basically, there's a topic about having the source for Modplug Player so it can be updated.

As I think that converting OpenMPT to a player also is much easier, lets bring in a request to push it a little into that direction.

More information about that discussion: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1841.0&highlight=
--------------------
My request:

Add a playlist to OpenMPT. Basically what it does is this: it disables the loop song check on the general tab, so the song isn't being looped. (ignoring the setting is fine too :))

When a new song is being requested by the playlist, it opens the song in the tracker, and then automatically starts playing it.

The playlist could be another window like any song, but just different with support to add a file or remove it (as simple step). The toolbar could contain a button to show/hide it. I wouldn't mind having the playlist play settings on the playlist itself though. When I would use the playlist, I would play those songs in the back anyway.

Support for streamed files is not necessary at this stage.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

I'd like an "append song" function that simply added a new song at the end of the current one and remapped the samples and shit. I don't see the use of a playlist in the tracker. Perhaps three flavours would e nice: ModPlug Tracker, Modplug Player and Modplug Live (for tweaking live stuff). This should of course all be in the same executable, but "modes" rather than "tabs". A bit like the mixer for the X-Fi cards. Not very realistic, but good dreams never are.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... I'm not so sure if this would work as expected, especially for tracks with big vstis... For example, a typical Kontakt track will take about 30 seconds to load on my machine. Preloading it is possible, I suppose, but only if it's done at a really low priority, so it doesn't interfere with the currently playing track.

My solution: export to mp3/ogg/whatever and play in something completely different, like audacious. =)

With the playlist suggestion, though, what about just using the open windows? That is, assign each window an order in the playlist? It'd be a quick hack for proof-of-concept...

Sam_Zen

2 älskling
I agree about your three flavours, but I certainly don't agree about being them in the same executable. Apart from the
fact that the Live function probably would have the format of a DLL used as plugin for a browser.
The advantage of the player being a stand-alone mod-player is that it enables people just to listen to some songs, without
the intention to edit anything, with a simple program. So it increases the public. The same with the browser-plugin.

2 LPChip
OMPT is a tracker, of course with the capability to play back things as well.
But as soon as a seperate Player is involved too, the tracker becomes more the editor vs the player.
So I think a 'playlist' should be improved in the 'player' section, not in the 'editor' section.

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Apart from the fact that the Live function probably would have the format of a DLL used as plugin for a browser.
That's not what I was talking about at all. Nevermind tho.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Hmm... I'm not so sure if this would work as expected, especially for tracks with big vstis... For example, a typical Kontakt track will take about 30 seconds to load on my machine. Preloading it is possible, I suppose, but only if it's done at a really low priority, so it doesn't interfere with the currently playing track.

seconded... nice idea though
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

LPChip

I still really like this request. I now load in all the tracks I want to play, then manually use a shortkey to get to the next song and press play. This ofcource does work, but its not the ideal situation. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I agree about bringing this up again.
The discussion about an open MP Player is revived, but of course OMPT could act as a player too, and the source is there.
It's possible to load multiple tracks, and use a shortcut to play the next one, but first of all the list is not visual.
There's only one dialog of the current song. So it would be nice too if this was shown by giving every track its own tag in the frame.

Loading a selection of files and play them, is different from using a playlist. Which is supposed te be a stand-alone file.
With a composed order of files, which can be different from the order in the directory.
The MP Player has a format for this : MOL. I tried, but OMPT can't handle it.
This format is of course made in the sample-only era.
In the meantime things have changed, so now a playlist should contain information about resetting values, maybe VST plugins per track, etc.