.46 bug in channel volume

Started by Saga Musix, March 14, 2007, 17:14:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.03.00

Description of the bug:
In v1.17.02.45 (and previous versions), modplug had another manner to handle channel volumes.
if you lower the channel volume (let's say you use the M10 effect -> Channel volume is 10h) and you skipped to a pattern BEFORE the volume change, you heared the channel in its original volume. after a short listen in version 1.17.3, I noticed anohter beviour: when i skipped back, the NEW volume was kept! very bad...

and by the way, if you double-click on the effect volume, you see the effects list with values. the Mxx effect allows values from 0 to 64 (40h), but the whole range  from 0 to 255 (FFh) is available in this window. this is similar for other effects..
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I've had a chat with Relabsoluness, and we've decided to not persue the bugs for now.

The 3.0a build is just a build to play with and there are bugs to be expected.

A newer version will come and have most (if not all) features from the 3.0a build. If that happens, we'll see if the bug still exists and reopen the bug.

Until then, this topic will be locked.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

I'm unlocking this topic for I would like to ask about the bug - especially as it's descriped very bad :). It may well be that some volume handling have changed, but I don't quite understand the bug description; maybe an example file could help.

Saga Musix

I am not sure what went wrong here, but it seems not to happen again :)
oh no, wait, it happened again in another module!

Download volume.it
load the file, enable playback.
skip to the third pattern.
now skip to the second pattern. it should be playing at original volume again, but it's playing at M10.
This behavious was "normal" for "repeat pattern" mode before, but i think that it is rather irritating and confusing.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Saga Musix

Okay, but be sure to check the other effects too ;) It also happens with Global volume, so it maybe happens with every effect.

Saga Musix

okay, now it even happens in the .46 release. :(

Relabsoluness

For me, at least the test file sounds as intended.

Saga Musix

If you skipped around in MPT, the tracker "knew" which volume this pattern should be played at (previous volume commands were handled)
I uploaded another example at (link removed)
Skip around the patterns and you will notice that the channel / global volumes are not as they should be.

rewbs

I think the description of this bug makes it sound a lot more complicated than it actually is.

QuoteIn v1.17.02.45 [...] if you lower the channel volume (let's say you use the M10 effect -> Channel volume is 10h) and you skipped to a pattern BEFORE the volume change, you heared the channel in its original volume.
As far as I can see that is not necessarily true. There has been a change in behaviour but it has nothing to do with skipping backwards vs forwards:

- Before .46, jumping to another pattern by clicking in the order list maintained the active channel and global volumes.
- In .46, doing so maintains the active global volume but resets the channel volume to the max.

As stated in the release notes:

/ <Relabsoluness> Channel states resetting when jumping between orders from orderlist.
     --> NOTE: While this fixes a bug (behavior change) introduced in the tuning branch(?), it also changes quite prominent behavior so can annoy people - might need to be modified at some point.

I'm amongst those who don't like the new behavior. My problem with the new behaviour is the inconsistency:
A. Global volume and channel volume behave differently.
B. If I navigate to a pattern during playback using +/- (not using the orderlist) and press "play pattern from start", the states are reset. However, if I press "play song from current row", the states are not reset. This is confusing imho.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "rewbs"I'm amongst those who don't like the new behavior. My problem with the new behaviour is the inconsistency:
A. Global volume and channel volume behave differently.
B. If I navigate to a pattern during playback using +/- (not using the orderlist) and press "play pattern from start", the states are reset. However, if I press "play song from current row", the states are not reset. This is confusing imho.
Ok, this is to be changed back (certainly wasn't most clever modification anyway).

Saga Musix

good to know that you second my opinion :) if you want to skip fastly through your song (e.g. to check some special parts), this maybe ruins playback.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"if you want to skip fastly through your song
Well actually the original reason why I even touched the skipping behavior was that I would have liked the thing to work faster :) I found it annoying that, at least with certain mods, the delay when skipping patterns is rather large so I removed a single function call whose purpose I didn't understand :oops:

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Jojo"if you want to skip fastly through your song
Well actually the original reason why I even touched the skipping behavior was that I would have liked the thing to work faster :) I found it annoying that, at least with certain mods, the delay when skipping patterns is rather large so I removed a single function call whose purpose I didn't understand :oops:

Perhaps its a good idea to make it optional, and accessable through a toolbar icon?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

yes, that's a good idea. but making everything optional will also make the settings list grow and grow... at some point, it has to be split :D coz i dunno if this icon is located well in the toolbar...