[EBM] - Sermon (2nd edit) (MP3) Angry EBM song

Started by Andy Livid, February 24, 2007, 17:26:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Livid

Very dark one. Tells about practising religion (in sarcastic way).

Song name: Sermon (2nd edit)
Genre: EBM
File format: mp3
File size: 5,39 MB
Kbps: 160

Link to download:

http://www.mikseri.net/music/play.php?id=261609&type=dl

If you want more, go to my artist page:

www.mikseri.net/andylivid

Thank you!

Sam_Zen

Starts great, with a nice treatment of voices. Then I got a bit disappointed, with the introduction of the 'string' instrument at about 0:57. A bit too general to my taste to be called 'dark'.

Andy Livid

Thank ya man for listenin'! Yeah, some people consider it's (the main synth) is too common-trance-like. I think it's a part of the contraversial moods of this song. A club-friendly (like Pride and fall) but not at all club-friendly! ;)

maleek

I think that the strings in themselves contribute to a dynamic in the sound. It counterposes the darkness you speak about, but I do not see that as a drawback. It feels like a unique touch to EBM. Sometimes the melodies drift off, but since I am not a regular listener of EBM and my cat-powers are defunct on Industrial music, my thoughts do not bear to much relevance. ;)

maleek

I've listened again and this time I was more attuned to EBM. It grew on me. So I thought that I would stop by again and compliment you.

tvdude

This song is extremely well constructed.  Congratulations.  I've listened to you over the past couple of years, and I think this song is definitely one of your finest.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

Pesho_Zmiata

Hey, this is nice! It has a good composition and well chosen instruments.
...except for that trancy detuned sawtooth thing you used :) I think that if you replaced that lead motive with something more rough like a good electric guitar, everything would fall into place (and would start sorta resembling some sort of rammstein song :D ) The part i enjoy most of it is the industrial-like base+rhythm that stays consistent throughout the entire music.

Andy Livid

Thank you all who listened my song! I'm glad if someone liked that kind of angry song as much as I do.

Maybe I didn't created those saw-synths in my song very well, but I still think they fits to the mood of the song. :) I considered it a lot, should I let those saw-synths be there or not. But here's a result!

The situation in my life has been so apprehensive a long time but I believe that the next month could bring more light to the darkness. Maybe the next song will be more peacefull and relaxed again. That's not sure can I make happy song... ;)

Andy Livid

Hello!

Like I said before I considered the main synth in my song "Sermon" a lot when I made it. Now I created a whole new intstrumental part to the chorus and the result is also very good, slightly different but atleast as good than the first version of it. Enjoy!

Thanks.

Sam_Zen

An improvement I would say. The former 'stringy' sound has become more 'horny' :) now.

A note about the production though :
It's considered quite standard to position a voice part in the center of the stereo panorama. In this case the voice is distorted, so has a big amount of high harmonics in it. If other instruments are acting at around the same position with about the same freq range, then there is the risk, that the distinction of the voice-part is more or less lost, because it will 'drown in the soup'.
Some ways to escape this :
~ Move other instruments more to the LR-sides in the panorama, to give more room in the center for the voices.
~ Ignore the common default, and move the voice out of the center to, for example, the left side.

BTW : I don't think being quite happy in our daily life should prevent us from writing a very angry song once in a while.

Andy Livid

Thanks man! I haven't thought using panning to improve vocals clarity. A great tip! :)