Can modplug run from a usb drive

Started by mrvegas, February 13, 2007, 18:25:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

Modplug seems to be just an executable.  Can I run it straight from a usb flash drive with no modification?

I did a search for this, but couldn't find anything.  Thanks for your help.

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"Modplug seems to be just an executable.  Can I run it straight from a usb flash drive with no modification?

I did a search for this, but couldn't find anything.  Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can run modplug from an USB drive without problems. I have done it too, but there's one thing that you'll have to take into considderation.

Moving to another computer with other hardware, probably requires you to enter the setup screen after staring MPT to select your soundcard.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

Wouldn't it write settings to a file on the flash drive, though?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Wouldn't it write settings to a file on the flash drive, though?

Ofcource it does, but when you move your usb stick to another pc, and it has another configuration, it will expect you to have another soundcard than you have on this system, because soundcard X is written in the ini while soundcard Y is on your system. See my point? :)

I do believe (but one of the programmers has to verify this for me) that OpenMPT will automatically popup the setup screen when this happens...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mrvegas

Thanks for the info.  Most computers I would run it on would probably use the standard Microsoft stuff, so it's probably not hard to fix one way or the other.  

I ran it from the flash the other day and didn't have any problems.  I'd like to put Modplug on a 2 GB stick with a few VSTs and a gig or so of samples.  That way, I can take it with me wherever I go.