(un-)signing and 8bit stretching

Started by Saga Musix, February 12, 2007, 19:24:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Hi, some new suggestions:
-There should be a button in the sample window to sign and unsign the waveform. This is not only a compatiblity matter but also a very cool effect ;)

-The time stretching doesn't work with 8 bit samples.

Implemented in OpenMPT 1.17.02.53
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

It doesn't work like that.

One of the programmers first have to accept your proposal, by setting the (S=A) or decline it by setting (S=D)

Once it is accepted, it will be available in a future build, but even then it could be .50 before it gets in, depending on the priority.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

All I wanted to say that noone replied yet ;)

Sam_Zen

I didn't reply, because I don't think it has any priority. And I can think of hundreds of other cool things to add to the sample tag.

If you want to choose between signed and unsigned, you can already do so I guess, by changing the extension of the file to a non-valid one like 'vaw' and import it anyway (open *.*). Then you get a window with a choice for signed or unsigned.

Saga Musix

that's not right. this dialog only appears when there is no WAV header, and i don't really want to cut a few bytes when i want to (un)sign a sample, nor do i want to run Impulse Tracker :)

Sam_Zen

Quotethis dialog only appears when there is no WAV header
Yep, sorry. It was a theoretical assumption, and I already wondered about that.

Saga Musix

Unsigning/Signing is working :) now we need a toolbar button for that...

Harbinger

Quote from: "Jojo"Unsigning/Signing is working :) now we need a toolbar button for that...

What does Signing do exactly? Where and when is it used?

Sam_Zen

I think basically it's about : where do you put, or has been put, the zero value of the waveform :
Symmetric with pos. and neg. values, or non-symmetric with just pos. values from zero.

Saga Musix

Sam_Zen's description is right i believe, but it can be explained with a picture easily.

It's basically the conversion from intel to motorola format.

Harbinger

So it's a change in data format, not in sound? When would i need to use it?

älskling

Quote from: "Jojo"It's basically the conversion from intel to motorola format.
Are you sure you're not confusing signed/unsigned with big/little endians? (I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking)

Quote from: "Harbinger"So it's a change in data format, not in sound? When would i need to use it?
If you convert to the wrong format, it distorts the sound quite heavily. Apparantly this is a desired effect by some ;-) I guess it can also be useful in the rare case when a sample has been saved "the wrong way", to make it go back to "the right way".