indigo new forum

Started by majistik, February 11, 2007, 15:46:36

Previous topic - Next topic

majistik

Text removed by moderator. This was a spambot that exchanged the original post content by some senseless text.

Waxhead

Adobe Audition (earlier CoolEdit) can do this if I remember correctly.
also recycle should be able to help you out...

LPChip

You can do it in MODPlug Tracker too, but its a bit tricky.

Load in your drumloop for as many times as you want to make samples from them.

Make a selection for the part you want to save, right click, and choose Trim.

Then save as a new file using the save icon. You can also make several samples from this and then put all in one instrument assigning the keys in the instrument tab.

You can then do it like this:

C-4 = Basedrum
D-4 = Snare
E-4 = Cymbal
F-4 = open hihat
G-4 = Closed hihat

(etc. Ofcource, for you it will be like C-4 = section 1 etc...)

If you then save your instrument as a .iti or .xi, you will save it as a collection to one file which is easy for you if you want to load in your collection in another song. :) One file loading, and everything is set already. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

majistik

thank you two :)

waxhead--
what is the tool in Adobe Audition can do that?? 10x

Waxhead

Quote from: "majistik"thank you two :)

waxhead--
what is the tool in Adobe Audition can do that?? 10x
Edit->Find beats

You should be able to randomize the beats also but I actually almost never used that function ;)

Sam_Zen

I can't listen to it, but I suppose the '----' means silence ?
Both mentioned methods can do the job (beside Audition is 'Audacity' an option as wav-editor).
But if you really want quality samples, you'll probably need to do some finetuning afterwards of each extracted sample.
Main rule : Every sample has to start and end on a 'zero' (DC) level. More about that here
Not a matter of tricky, but just quite some repetitious labour.

With Cool, (I never used 'Find Beats' either), I just zoom in on the waveform, select the wanted area, and save the selection as a new file.
The rough method, dragging the mouse over the selected sound :

To apply to the main rule, one then could use the function Edit/Zero Crossings/Adjust Selection Inward, before saving.
More precise is to do a deep zoom to find the exact beginning of the sound, and make it a 'cue'-point :

Then, zoomed out, you can drag to make the selection from the cue-point to the right till the end of the sound.

LPChip

Do note that in Sam_Zen's example, the beat is seperated by emptyness. Not all drumloops are like this. Some have hihats in the back so the sounds overlap. In such cases its really difficult to do a good cut. Also make sure you zoom in deep enough to be aware when a sample ends, cus sometimes it looks like a --- zoomed out, but zoomed in, you can see that very softly something is going on. If you have a piece in your mix that has only the drumloop hearable, then you will certainly notice that the drumloop is abrubtly cut of. So make sure that when you select the end of the loop, that its indeed entirelly flat -----------.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

majistik

ohh you didnt understand me....

i can do the "find beats" manualy
but i have a complete long file and i wish it will save every sample after silence seperatly (without searching one by one it will take me hours)

majistik

MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED
thank you all!

i have downloaded the recycle program

Sam_Zen

2 majistik
What's a recycle program ?

2 LPChip
You're right, I was talking about single, seperated sounds. And indeed, the end of the sample is as important. To be absolutely sure, I have the habit of doing a fade-out over the last few sample points.
Good point about the very soft things going on. First thing that should be checked really in the loop-sample : Is the silence really silence, or is there some tiny noise, that has to be removed first ?

Waxhead

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 majistik
What's a recycle program ?

look here: (menu on the left) http://www.propellerheads.se/

Sam_Zen

Thanks, I see. A loop editor.

anboi

as well as recycle soundforge has an 'autoregion' function and i think most other new versions of wave editors have an equivalent. i reckon recycle is the best dedicated loop/sample chopping tool though.