Wondering what style a famous tune is written in? Ask here.

Started by LPChip, January 31, 2007, 09:43:40

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I basically make this topic because I'm wondering about this myself, but since there are probably more people that has he same with different songs, lets put em all here :)

I'm looking for the musicstyle in the following TV series:

Stargate SG1, Startrek The Next Generation, Startrek Deep Space Nine, Startrek Voyager.

I think they all share the same style.

Who knows?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Its generally known as the "Soundtrack" Genre.
Generally all Neo-classical orchestral pieces written for film are called "Soundtrack".

By the way, if youre interested in more great film music, I'm a great resource. I only wish more people shared the passion for soundtrack music that I do :) .
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Ah, thanks for the info. :)

I don't like all the songs, but if it got spirit, I like it. :)

Startrek DS9 and Stargate SG1 are a good example of that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

Ask PPH, he's the authority on that kind of information.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

residentgrey

No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

I like film soundtracks too. I find them also interesting when listening to the interaction between sounds of the background score and the other sounds of the actual scene. And, by the way, a great resource for all kinds of weird samples, if one needs them.

XAVT

Quote from: "georg"Ask PPH, he's the authority on that kind of information.

And when have you last seen him.. eey? ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

LPChip

Quote from: "XAVT"
Quote from: "georg"Ask PPH, he's the authority on that kind of information.

And when have you last seen him.. eey? ;)

How about every 2 days or so on msn? :P

PPH

I'm here!!! Yeah, LPChip sees me always at MSN. And yes, I'm a soundtrack fan too.

I don't know if it's right to call the genre "Soundtrack". Obviously, they are soundtracks, but all music used in a film or TV program is :D Neo-classical is better, but won't do either. It's usually used to refer to contemporary works that us the main elements of the classic period (especially the fact that they have a well defined structure, and the use of such structures). "Orchestral"? Might be... Although that only says that they use a symphonic orchestra. "Contemporary classical", that might be better, perhaps.

In Portuguese they say "m?sica erudita" to all classical music and contemporary classical. In Spanish, they say "m?sica culta", which is the same, more or less. Both mean something like "educated music" (educated in the sense of having culture, of being more complex, like "an educated man", a guiy who knows lots of things. The term is used opposed to "popular music". It's a very broad term, though.

EDIT: By the way, the Star Trek Theme (the latest Star Trek theme is the same as the Star Trek: The Next Generation theme, with a slightly different arrangement) was composed by the great Jerry Goldsmith.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

XAVT

A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

KrazyKatz

Time to simplify things and complicate them ;)

Couple of terms:

"Score" - One music track used in a film.
"Film Score" - All the scores of that film.

Of course each score has its own genre, be it rock, classical, etc.., but if its  composed specifically for a film it additionally falls into the "Soundtrack" genre.

The other term for the genre is " Background music".

By the way, if a score wasn't composed specifically for the film it doesn't belong in the "Soundtrack" genre. Such as a classical piece made 200 hundred years ago, that is used in a film, doesn't take on the "Soundtrack" genre.

I studied film composition, and am currently composing for two movies.

If anyones is interested I'd suggest the textbook by Berklee College "Complete guide to film scoring."
Sonic Brilliance Studios

PPH

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Time to simplify things and complicate them ;)

Couple of terms:

"Score" - One music track used in a film.
"Film Score" - All the scores of that film.

Of course each score has its own genre, be it rock, classical, etc.., but if its  composed specifically for a film it additionally falls into the "Soundtrack" genre.

The other term for the genre is " Background music".

By the way, if a score wasn't composed specifically for the film it doesn't belong in the "Soundtrack" genre. Such as a classical piece made 200 hundred years ago, that is used in a film, doesn't take on the "Soundtrack" genre.

I studied film composition, and am currently composing for two movies.

If anyones is interested I'd suggest the textbook by Berklee College "Complete guide to film scoring."

I envy you. There's little chance of doing that where I live :D
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

KrazyKatz

If you really wanted to do it you could.
Take Hollywood composer Gabriel Yared: Well known for winning the Oscar for the Film score "The English Patient". He was born in Lebanon! He relocates to compose for Hollywood, and doesn't actually live in the states.

Admittedly it does take courage, but if you want to do it enough you will ;)

May I inquire as to where you live?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

residentgrey

LP i have scoured the very bowels of the interweb in a perilous pursuit to the answers you seek. I have FOUND IT! The music style you are in search of is...

FRICKIN AWESOME!!!! \m/ ^_^ \m/

:P
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

PPH

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"If you really wanted to do it you could.
Take Hollywood composer Gabriel Yared: Well known for winning the Oscar for the Film score "The English Patient". He was born in Lebanon! He relocates to compose for Hollywood, and doesn't actually live in the states.

Admittedly it does take courage, but if you want to do it enough you will ;)

May I inquire as to where you live?

Yes, I know I could if I were to take some risks and give up some things. I know Gabriel Yared, but I didn't know he was born in Lebanon (I thought he was French).

I live in Uruguay (a small country east of South America, between Argentina and Brazil).
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============