MP3 to Midi Conversion Software

Started by Really Weird Person, January 20, 2007, 05:45:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Does anyone know of any software that I can download to convert MP3 music into midi sequences?

cubaxd

There is a cheat for ompt: hold shift and press both any keys

LPChip

LOL @ cubaxd...

To seriously answer your question, its not possible to convert a streamed format to a source format. In fact, you can only convert a streamed format to another streamed format.

Modules and midi are source formats.

There is software available that can tone-recognise a wav file and output a midi from it, but it works poorly. You must have a single tone wave file and the only thing you'll get are the notes used, not the sound itself. Even worse, if that wav has a vibrato in it or a very difficult waveform, it will recognise it as several tones at once and your output is screwed.

Due to all the complications it has, I say: its not possible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

So what are the "any" keys again? Maybe I need a keyboard upgrade. I have on my keyboard the following keys:

1. An escape key
2 - 13. 12 Function keys (labeled F1 - F12)
14. A print screen/system requests key
15. A scroll lock key
16. A pause/break key
17. A grave (not accute) accent/tilde key
18 - 27. 10 number keys (labeled 1 - 0)
28. A hyphen/minus/underscore key
29. An equals/plus key
30. A backspace key
31. An insert key
32. A home key
33. A page up key
34. A num lock key
35. A num forward slash key
36. A num asterisk key
37. A num hyphen/minus key
38. A tab key
39 - 48. 10 letter keys (Q - P)
49. A left bracket/brace key
50. A right bracket/brace key
51. A backslash/vertical line key
52. A delete key
53. An end key
54. A page down key
55 - 59. 3 number keys for the num pad (labeled 7, 8 and 9)
60. A num plus key
61. A caps lock key
62 - 70. 9 letter keys (labled A - L)
71. A semicolon/colon key
72. A single/double quote key
73. An enter key
74 - 76. 3 number keys for the num pad (labeled 4, 5 and 6)
77. A left shift key
78 - 84. 7 letter keys (labeled Z - M)
85. A comma/less-than key
86. A period/greater-than key
87. A forward slash/question mark key
88. A right shift key
89. An up arrow key
90 - 92. 3 number keys for the num pad (labeled 1, 2 and 3)
93. A num enter key
94. A left control key
95. A left start key
96. A left alt key
97. A space bar
98. A right alt key
99. A right start key
100. A right click key
101. A right control key
102 - 104. 3 arrow keys (labeled left, down and right)
105. A number key for the num pad (labeled 0)
106. A period key for the num pad
And there's my keyboard a simple set of 106 keys. I do not have any "any" keys.

And to correct LPChip, it is possible to convert MP3s to midi sequences, but the software http://www.widisoft.com/english/download.html that I found to do that is very expensive ($99 and some change). The demo only converts the first ten seconds of the song.

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "LPChip"LOL @ cubaxd...

To seriously answer your question, its not possible to convert a streamed format to a source format. In fact, you can only convert a streamed format to another streamed format.

Modules and midi are source formats.

There is software available that can tone-recognise a wav file and output a midi from it, but it works poorly. You must have a single tone wave file and the only thing you'll get are the notes used, not the sound itself. Even worse, if that wav has a vibrato in it or a very difficult waveform, it will recognise it as several tones at once and your output is screwed.

Due to all the complications it has, I say: its not possible.

Actually, that ain't true. NOt entirely, anyway. IN the same way a tuner can detect a pitch, software can detect pitches from songs and convert them to MIDI. I only knew of 1 such piece of software (trialware, unfortunately), but it did work, and fairly accurately. It COULD hand polyphonic songs, but the problem with that was that every instrument had to have a standard MIDI 'equivalent', and of course we all know that MIDI instruments sound nothing like the instruments they're supposed to be.

RWP, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

EDIT: Damn I'm ignorant. I didn't even notice the software link that RWP pointed out. But it's not the same as the one I had previously used.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

cubaxd

Sorry, Really Weird Person.

I thought, a thumb question needs a thumb answer. But there are really such tools.

I made a test with a song by the austrian-american-swiss... cabaret artist Georg Kreisler, which i covered (plagiarized :wink:) two years ago.
The original song (flash) can be found here (i dont want to link to the file directly without permission, so search for "ich kann tanzen" or so).
And the converted midi file, which was converted from a high quality version of that song, whithout changing any settings. And i was astonished, how much the program did gecognize.
But i wouldn't take it as a ringtone. :)

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"
I do not have any "any" keys.
Don't give up. ;) But sorry again. That was really new to me.

Really Weird Person

So, SoundCrafter, do you remember the name of the software that you used? I would like to see it (and maybe try it out, herpaps (perhaps)). Unfortunately, I do not see a name for or link to the software.