Is linux loosing support from the software community?

Started by Rakib, April 09, 2010, 12:29:38

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

QuoteIs linux loosing support from the software community?
not really. Some companies could drop it however because of poor demand, like songbird for example. Some of them also have too little manpower to work in parallel on many different platforms, and since windows is the most popular (and open source works there too, without a problem) they will develop their apps, focused on that OS.

The PS3 example, that has been mentioned in this article, is a whole another story. They blocked the "OtherOS" option because a hacker (who also cracked the iPhone OS) managed to do some successful approaches to control some "unwanted" elements on hardware lvl. So they will naturally take any necessary steps to prevent their console from being pirated.

Linux will always be demand based, if more users will need it as a solution, it will get more support from other companies too. I am having for some time now Ubuntu on virtual machine, for testing purposes. It could had been become my primary OS of choice, but because it has virtually no VST support at all (its a proprietary technology from Steinberg), it will do me no good but trouble. Yeah im aware that it can be "emulated" by more than a few methods, but they are all pain in the ass, a lot of unnecessary trouble and too little benefit, also they wont work at all with more advanced VST-s (where professional usage is focused).
Linux is already perfect for general every day work, netbrowsing, music listening, instant messaging, movie playback etc, but still not a good solution for business use, where proprietary softwares and solutions are far far more advanced and powerful.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

QuoteSome companies could drop it however because of poor demand, like songbird for example.
Excuse me, sir, but 10% of the user base is not a "poor demand". 10% is a damn lot and definitely a very bad reason to drop support for it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I guess they have other resons too, like insufficient manpower, or maybe there are already more powerful solutions on linux for the problem...beats me, i've never used the software. :D
Im just saying they sure have their reasons.

Saga Musix

And my point is that the reasons they give are stupid. Damnit, even quite a few of their programmers are programming on linux!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

If any reason is "stupid", there is most certainly money behind it. :D

Louigi Verona

Quoting the author of the article:

QuoteWhile a team of analysts could look at the data and circumstances regarding the Linux drops and no doubt come to varying conclusions, I can spare that expense and instead offer my own insight. To put it in a nutshell, in tough times people are not so willing to work for free.

To put it in a nutshell, this phrase shows that the author of the article has very superficial knowledge of the open source business model. If to him Linux=zero price, then perhaps he should first read up on open source a bit and only then offer us his "insight".

Louigi Verona

QuoteIs linux loosing support from the software community?

No. The support is actually rapidly growing. The article shows examples of companies dropping support without displaying examples of companies adding support.

psishock

QuoteNo. The support is actually rapidly growing.
yep, actually Linux is getting better and better every day. It can already be a good solution for many people, while it could been only acceptable to really tech-savvy ones, few years ago. Ubuntu and Debian has done a nice job.

Louigi Verona

The guy that seriously says that "tech savvy hackers seem to believe that turning a profit for work delivered is almost a sin" cannot offer any insights into open source.

psishock

or any insight of their intentions at all. They certainly ain't aiming for people, to not get paid for their hard work.

g

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteSome companies could drop it however because of poor demand, like songbird for example.
Excuse me, sir, but 10% of the user base is not a "poor demand". 10% is a damn lot and definitely a very bad reason to drop support for it.
On the other hand, it may be hard justifying spending 20% of the resources on satisfying 10% of the customers.

Saga Musix

believe me, in customer terms, 10% is a lot.