[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

xaimus

residentgrey

Since it's so restricted maybe you can use it for the song creation tutorial on the MPT wiki. :)
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

While I was removing the click of sample 7 anyway (no need to cut anything shorter), I checked the other samples as well.
I noticed 3 samples as the longest sequences, with the obvious intention to have the same length : 3 - 7 - 8
Many other samples were supposed to be the half of that length : 1 - 2 and 9 to 15.
Samples 4 - 5 - 6 seem to have no number relationship to this.
But those sequence- and riff-lengths were not always the same. Maybe I'm a freak, but if it's possible to have it exact, I want it exact.
So I tuned some bytes to make each file of the group having exactly the same amount of samples.

EDIT : Link removed.

Waxhead

I don't think it's a good idea to fix the samples. Why?!
First of all sound quality was not important and messing around with the samples was forbidden. I think we should just work with what we got.

xaimus

Would changing the sampling rate (not resampling--just changing the tuning) on some of the samples be acceptable?

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

...not participating, because i don't like the rules...
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

LPChip

Quote from: "xaimus"Would changing the sampling rate (not resampling--just changing the tuning) on some of the samples be acceptable?

Hmm, Yeah, that is allowed. It's not in combat with the objective.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"While I was removing the click of sample 7 anyway (no need to cut anything shorter), I checked the other samples as well.
I noticed 3 samples as the longest sequences, with the obvious intention to have the same length : 3 - 7 - 8
Many other samples were supposed to be the half of that length : 1 - 2 and 9 to 15.
Samples 4 - 5 - 6 seem to have no number relationship to this.
But those sequence- and riff-lengths were not always the same. Maybe I'm a freak, but if it's possible to have it exact, I want it exact.
So I tuned some bytes to make each file of the group having exactly the same amount of samples. With consensus of LPChip, you can find these versions here :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/lpchip/mpt_compo.zip
File is not an .IT, so a bit bigger, 5.3 Mb. Just the zipped wavs.

You can also download the newer samplepack. I have fixed these samples based on sam_zen's wave's.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

So I removed the link to the pack mentioned above.

2 Waxhead
Fixing an undesired tick in the transition of a loop has nothing to do with sound quality or messing around with a sample.
The content stays the same, it's just a matter of setting the first and last sample-moment of the sound on a zero DC level.

You can have a high quality sound-source to an amplifier, but a crappy connector can spoil the fun. It has to be repaired.
And a loop connects the last point with the first point of the wave. So this must be a smooth transition.

When finetuning the common length, on some files I only had to remove 1 or 2 'samples' from the end. A difference of
1/22050 sec. Not quite detectable, I think.

Waxhead

2 Sam_zen:
As I see it the point with this contest was to find out who was able to make the most out of the samplepack we got. Therefore I personaly don't se the point in modifying the samples especially since soundquality was not important to the contest.
Maybe someone even found a use for that click in their song!? very unlikely actually but regardless the samplepack is not the original even if it's just a few bytes off.
Also I don't like the idea of a "fixed" samplepack either, but this is just me and my psycotic view on things ;)

Anyway ... I'm sticking with the original samplepack (as long as everyone is ok with that) even if it have a few minor flaws and see what I can do about it without doing any editing/tuning of the samples.

PS! I will not let this little "bullcrap" of a issue affect my votes for your submission Sam. I can assure you that. :D It's just a simple (yeah right) principle thing. Good luck in the contest!

Sam_Zen

LPChip

I don't mind if you use the old pack. Can you atleast change all the 2006 mentions to 2007? :P That is allowed :P

Waxhead

Sure thing! - Damn dude I really like this samplepack because it sucks!! :lol: - Perhaps it's the programmer in me who like to solve problems or maybe it's just the fact that it was cool samples to experiment with ;)

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"Sure thing! - Damn dude I really like this samplepack because it sucks!! :lol: - Perhaps it's the programmer in me who like to solve problems or maybe it's just the fact that it was cool samples to experiment with ;)

I'm not really sure if I should take that as a compliment or not, but I'm a positive guy, so if you don't like it, then its your problem... :P I made the pack knowing that probably no one would really like it, but then again, its the challenge to be able to do something with it. :)

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm not really sure if I should take that as a compliment or not
You should! It's good because it have quality sounds but it sucks because of the arrangement of the samples = very hard to work with. Good job chip!